UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track days

Old 12-06-2004, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track days

Having never ever done any track days, I'm divided into well up for it and rather nervous about the whole idea. People have told me I should get a completely different set of tyres, new brakes, different insurance and be prepared for someone hitting the car. I don't have lots of spare cash to just go out and buy extra tyres etc etc, and the thought of someone ploughing into my car makes me see red.

Is this what I need to consider concerning track days, or is someone just trying to wind me up?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:50 AM
GSi

Never done a track day (i.e on a real track) so can't comment there.

But I'd suggest an airfield track day to begin with.

+points:
corners are marked out with cones - which are soft when you run off course
corners have LOADS of run off, so if you lose it and spin you will never hit anything
they are generally well run and people keep out of each others way so that you are very unlikely to hit anyone
they limit the number of cars out on track at any time to make sure it's not too busy
they will hire you a helmet for a tenner
they're pretty cheap

the airfields tend to be abrasive concrete - so tyre wear is relatively high, but so long as you don't go out on brand new tyres they shouldn't wear too much. Best thing is to finish off a set of tyres with not much left on them and either get them changed on the day by a pre booked fitter or the day after (so long as they are ok to drive home).

also:
you shouldn't kill a set of pads
some companies will include non-competitive track days (i.e not timed laps) in your standard policy
its bloody good fun
you'll be amazed how fast the car can corner if its dry
you'll be amazed how progressive the rear end can be in the wet (given enough room to practice a few times )

http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/trackdayintro.htm
Old 12-06-2004, 05:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.bookatrack.com

Sorry, in a meeting so can't post experiences just yet.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:07 AM

The amount of abuse your car gets depends on how much you give it. If you drive full-on for the day, you'll lose a lot of tyre tread and most likely cook your brakes (overheating the fluid which in turn makes it less able to help you stop) and on one memorable occasion, I set fire to the rear pads.
However generally, if you follow a bit of advice and do short stints, cooling the car down after no more than 10 minutes at a time then you'll be fine and the car will not suffer unduly.

Having fun doesn't necessarily mean driving the car to destruction, I am generally quite soft on the car these days, but still manage to have a lot of fun.

As Rob says, airfield days are a popular alternative to track days, since there is no armco or gravel traps at an airfield. Every few months members of the board organise something, I usually try to get to 3 or 4 airfield days and a few track days each year so the best advice would be to come along to one we organise, that way you'll be with experienced people in the same car as you.
Alternatively, why not come along as a passenger if you're not too keen on driving.

Keep an eye out on the meet and event forum, there'll be one in the new year I'm sure (I usually organise one in March or so when the season gets underway).

Oh, and book through a recognised organiser and you shouldn't have too much to fear from being hit, well organised days are policed to ensure that the chance of 2 cars coming together are minimal. Motorsport Events and Bookatrack are both excellent on safety.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkB,Dec 6 2004, 02:07 PM
on one memorable occasion, I set fire to the rear pads.
Bloody company car owners, they all think that they are Schumacher
Old 12-06-2004, 05:24 AM

Take a look at lastminute.com they do track days from
Old 12-06-2004, 05:32 AM

a big grin is needed before; an even wider one comes naturally afterwards!

Many of the organisers wil make tution available - for a small price. Well worth taking up.

Remeber, your car is probarbly uninsured. If it worries you, then it is possible to get trackday insurance - but at a premium price... most of the tracks days i have done - car & bike, its not an issue. Have seen both types tumble from the road before me - and in one case in Germany at the 'Ring, with severe injuries. Just be aware of other track users, and as per Rob, try a trackday on an airfield. Heaps of fun guareenteed - especially in the wet!!

have a look at the photo galleries here for recent airfield days: http://www.edpphoto.com/mse%20bass%2023100....HTML/index.htm
http://www.edpphoto.com/mse%20bass%2023100....HTML/index.htm
http://www.edpphoto.com/mse%20bass%2023100....HTML/index.htm
Old 12-06-2004, 05:35 AM

cheap ones advertised here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/det...?i=32527&s=119
Old 12-06-2004, 05:45 AM

I'd highly recommend Bedford Autodrome as it's a 'proper' circuit but with loads of flat grass run-off. New track too so nice tarmac. Been there a coupla times when I had the S and it was fantastic. I really wanna go there again but gotta sort the noise levels (101db - S will easily pass if std) before I do

Silverstone is quite good too, enough corners with good run-off if you get things wrong. Most days will be
Old 12-06-2004, 06:44 AM

They've dropped the Bedford noise levels a bit. I think its 98.5 now, maybe a little less.

I usually only do airfield days (usually Hullavington through Motorsport Events) but I'm doing Bedford in Feb woohoooo!

Haven't done a trackday in the S yet, but I've done lots in my Impreza. Best fun you can have I reckon. Usually don't use a whole set of tyres, but will normally wreck front pads - but they are <

Quick Reply: Track days