UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track Pad Longevity

Old 10-12-2015, 12:07 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by noodels
If you haven't already perhaps a cooling kit may help
^^^This. Front/rear cooling ducts, floating disks and removing the dust shields (protect the ball joints) will all help.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my Carbone Lorraine RC5+ second hand early last year. The seller told me he had done half a track day on them before he had diff issues and had to stop. Since then I have done 3 track days at a sprint circuit and about 10k road miles on them. I think I will have to replace them soon and I will definitely be buying the same again.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:57 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

My experience is that it varies.

I managed pretty well on OEM pads for my first few track days.

I've been through a set of Dixcel Z pads in two track days - that was at Spa using slotted Dixcel discs.

I've also had a set of the Z pads last for 4 or 5 track days plus many thousand miles of road driving. The RA pads last longer but are not very nice for road use.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With slotted rotors I will get about 4 track days out of a set of Z type pads with road miles in between - however I tend to use about 100 L + of fuel per track day - so pretty heavy going.

Now moved to RA's and I'm on track day 4 now and they look like new still! Might also be worth noting that I have ditched the slots as the pads provide more than enough braking performance.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:45 AM

My brakes have cooling ducts fitted and I generaly do around 150 miles per track day .
I started off with Red stuff pads as they were on the car when I got it. They lasted one day, just.

Next I used Ferodo ds2000's which lasted 2 or 3 days. Having read so many good things about the ds2500's I then tried those. They were better than the ds2000's, but still only lasted 3 days.

So I thought I'd have to try a better pad and I decided to go with carbotech xp10's all round (I always have matching rears).

They're twice the price of the Ferodos, but after 3 track days they don't really look worn at all. They brake much better too.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:06 PM

I've got cooling ducts in the front they certainly helped with pad life.

I spoke to Carbotech today and think I'm going to go with a set of XP10, if they last seven track days then that's next year sorted.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:35 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer_crx
I've got cooling ducts in the front they certainly helped with pad life.

I spoke to Carbotech today and think I'm going to go with a set of XP10, if they last seven track days then that's next year sorted.
People should be wary with brake pads as the more pad material you use the more likely it is to crack and bits to break off.

This is my carbotech XP10 after about 6 or so track days i think and a good few 1000 road miles. You can see there's still a fair bit of meat left on the pad

To be honest i wasn't pissed off with the failure because they took some serious abuse at Snetterton for lap after lap and when i should of eased off them for a lap or so i would end up doing another quick one. The braking power was immense thou and i still brought another set of XP10's. Really as soon as you feel the braking force start to change you should ease off abit but i tended to keep going just because it can be hard to get a clear lap and when you get a chance you've got to go for it!

Ultimately the cheapest way to do alot of trackdays in an S2000 is to get a BBK like MB has done. He is barely using any pad material and will probably save 100's over the course of a couple of seasons plus he has the added advantage of fade free brakes. If i start to do trackdays again i will be getting an aftermarket wheel and a BBK, it is the way to go if you abuse the brakes on the S2000 alot.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Get some ear defenders too as the XP10 makes one hell of a squeal when they aren't warm
Old 10-12-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Depends on the calipers/discs, mine are silent.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:49 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

More than 1 full race season on Endless pads (big calipers)

As Mark says, I'm saving a lot on pads as it used to be every 3 races.

Quick Reply: Track Pad Longevity