UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track Pad Longevity

Old 10-12-2015, 11:40 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Surprised not many people opt for the Accord Type R setup given how cheap they are to source, twin pots, the pad size being much bigger and performance pads being cheaper too?

Granted they're a bit heavier, than the OE ones but they seem like a good choice to me?
Old 10-12-2015, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markforrester99
Originally Posted by surfer_crx' timestamp='1444683976' post='23773514
I've got cooling ducts in the front they certainly helped with pad life.

I spoke to Carbotech today and think I'm going to go with a set of XP10, if they last seven track days then that's next year sorted.
People should be wary with brake pads as the more pad material you use the more likely it is to crack and bits to break off

This is my carbotech XP10 after about 6 or so track days i think and a good few 1000 road miles. You can see there's still a fair bit of meat left on the pad

To be honest i wasn't pissed off with the failure because they took some serious abuse at Snetterton for lap after lap and when i should of eased off them for a lap or so i would end up doing another quick one. The braking power was immense thou and i still brought another set of XP10's. Really as soon as you feel the braking force start to change you should ease off abit but i tended to keep going just because it can be hard to get a clear lap and when you get a chance you've got to go for it!

Ultimately the cheapest way to do alot of trackdays in an S2000 is to get a BBK like MB has done. He is barely using any pad material and will probably save 100's over the course of a couple of seasons plus he has the added advantage of fade free brakes. If i start to do trackdays again i will be getting an aftermarket wheel and a BBK, it is the way to go if you abuse the brakes on the S2000 alot.
Very surprised to see this, what tyres are you using, what power, weight and what sort of lap times?
Are you using slotted or otherwise drilled / groves discs? And brake cooling?

Sorry for all the questions, I've given Carbotechs in a much smaller pad size plenty of stick and never had such an issue.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given how my pads have been looking Matt I think there is more to it that pure heat.

My recent pads are showing a large amount of taper wear on them which to me suggests that the caliper/mounts/carrier are on the limit of being able to cope with the weight of the car when you increase the capacity of the braking system with sticky tyres and higher friction pads.

I might look into that Accord twin pot upgrade, I would really like something a little better but I think it might be a good interim, something really needs addressing as I go through pads way too quickly and it starts to take the fun out of trackdays when it gets this expensive.

Did CT replace those pads for you or did you have to buy another set?
Old 10-13-2015, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by surfer_crx
Given how my pads have been looking Matt I think there is more to it that pure heat.

My recent pads are showing a large amount of taper wear on them which to me suggests that the caliper/mounts/carrier are on the limit of being able to cope with the weight of the car when you increase the capacity of the braking system with sticky tyres and higher friction pads.

I might look into that Accord twin pot upgrade, I would really like something a little better but I think it might be a good interim, something really needs addressing as I go through pads way too quickly and it starts to take the fun out of trackdays when it gets this expensive.

Did CT replace those pads for you or did you have to buy another set?
A chap on here called Ste-longy did it to his S and doubled his pad life and that was using DS2500s.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the accord callipers work under OEM wheel sizes?
Old 10-13-2015, 11:03 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

The photo i posted was the rear pads. I normally do 20 minute sessions and my car is not stripped out and im not a small fella either. I use plain discs as i find them best in terms of resisting cracking and cheap to change. The rear is unvented so cooling will have minimal effect.

Federal 595 RSR tyres and a few breathing mods. My brother also has similar issues but he has a R53 mini cooper and it was running 260bhp at the time. Im not saying there product isn't anygood because im yet to find a pad with the same braking power and fade resistance but people shouldn't think there is a magical solution to the brake pad issue.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Cooling ducts are as much for the caliper and the surface interface temperatures as the bulk metal, so it'll still help pad life, just don't expect the discs to run much cooler if they're already too hot.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by RichwiththeS2000
Would the accord callipers work under OEM wheel sizes?
Yes since they're a sliding type caliper like the OEM ones
Old 10-13-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the accord calipers in my garage. If I remember correctly the pads would not fit evenly in the carriers so you need a 3mm between the hub and disc so that it sits central. Might fit them but can't see it making a huge difference the disc will still be red hot
Old 10-14-2015, 12:55 AM

All Ste-longy said he had to do was trim the dust shield back a bit and bolt the whole caliper with carrier. Ran with OEM discs too.

Quick Reply: Track Pad Longevity