S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Trackers (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/trackers-28999/)

awinskill 09-20-2001 10:05 PM

Trackers

I'm about to get my insurance renewal through :(

Anyone got a tracker type device fitted an know what sort of discount you get?

ScoobyNet advocate NavTrack, but as it's one of their site sponsors it's hardly impartial... ;)

Turtle 09-20-2001 11:05 PM

Generally it maxes out at around 10% discount. Which for a lot of people is about the same cost as the annual subscription for the tracker.

Tracker's web site has a list of companies which give discounts, but doesn't list the discounts.

-Brian.

awinskill 09-20-2001 11:14 PM

Isn't it Tracker which requires the special device inside the police car? I think the Police have said they're not going to support them after the end of this year....

NavTrack looks OK but it seems to use GSM to triangulate the car. Coverage is still patchy...

Turtle 09-20-2001 11:21 PM

Originally posted by awinskill
Isn't it Tracker which requires the special device inside the police car? I think the Police have said they're not going to support them after the end of this year....

NavTrack looks OK but it seems to use GSM to triangulate the car. Coverage is still patchy...

Depends on what Tracker it is ;)

GPS signals might have a lower tolerance for going through concrete, shipping containers etc.

If you're going for the discount, not the piece of mind, then it's a case of the cheapest reputable tracking device that will get you the discount you want.

If you want to have your car recovered, or stop the theft in the first place, there are different options, but it does get costly.

-Brian.

Frenchie 09-21-2001 12:10 AM

My insurance company (Norwich Union) insisted on a tracker device being fitted before they would cover the car for theft. I had the RAC Trackstar fitted, precisely because of the concerns over the police and the old 'Tracker'. I paid

ianl 09-21-2001 01:01 AM

I considered fitting a tracker to my car, but ultimately decided against it - my rational being that if the car had been forcibly entered and stolen and driven without mechanical sympathy/mercy, I really don't think I would want the car back........so I went for a good quality cat 1 alarm - enough to deter more opportunistic thieves / satisfy insurance companies. But is someone really wants the car........:mad:

Just my opinion

Frenchie 09-21-2001 04:54 AM

Originally posted by ianl
my rational being that if the car had been forcibly entered and stolen and driven without mechanical sympathy/mercy, I really don't think I would want the car back
if it's recovered, I'm not sure you get a choice as to whether you have the car back ! So, maybe it's better to get it back within hours rather than weeks or months?

Just my 2p