UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Trip to Jack R. Smith Motor Trimmers

Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip to Jack R. Smith Motor Trimmers

So the roof has gone in all the usual places and this Thursday it's booked in for a brand spanking Mohair roof courtesy of Jack R. Smith Motor Trimmers, Swansea.

I am traveling across from Warwick and it's going to be about a 3 hour drive. I am aim to leave way before sparrow-fart and aim to be there for around 8:30am in the hope of leaving after lunch with a brand new roof.

The journey there will be a mundane mix of motorway and A road (see the route in blue on the map below), however, as I should (hopefully) have the afternoon to stretch the car's legs and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any quality driving roads off the beaten path that would take me in the direction of home? Through the Brecon Beacons and out through Hereford maybe?

All recommendations are welcome as I've never driven that part of the country before but am certain there must be some outstanding, EVO-style driving roads around there?

Old 12-10-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

There are some absolutely stunning roads around that part of the world, all I can say is watch out for the Heddlu De Cymru - I picked up my one and only speeding offense on the A470 South out of Brecon
Old 12-10-2013, 11:58 AM

Looking at the satellite view images of the Brecons the A470 looks like it would be stunning.

Good heads up for the warning and bad luck on getting a ticket. I guess it's a hot-bed for the Kojak's with the Kodaks around there because it's such an enjoyable road?
Old 12-10-2013, 12:14 PM
BCA

Enjoy Jack Smiths company, they're a funny lot, good guys.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

There is also the classic Black Mountain Pass (A4069) - a little out of your way but exactly the type of road you are looking for.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:41 AM

Got my rear window replaced on Monday the 9th, he's a good laugh like BCA said
Old 12-11-2013, 06:20 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Head from Swansea to Upper Brynamman, then onto A4069 to Llangadog and Llandovery, then A40 towards Sennybridge and Brecon.

Wonderful route if the traffic is light, once you pass Brecon you can basically head for Hereford and then Worcester for the boring motorway part home.

Did a near identical route last year from Jack Smiths myself, only finishing in Stoke on Trent instead.

At Jacks, the cafe down the road as you head to the waterfront (which you will) is pretty decent, and there's a big Asda to hide out in, but that's about it!
Old 12-11-2013, 07:00 AM

Let us know how you get on mate, I'll be looking to get this done after the winter period. Will probably make it part of a trip taking in the evo triangle aswell.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:31 PM

Thanks for all the info fellas. I'm heading off at 5:30am so will have the roads to myself for a while first thing!

Will post some pix when I get back

Old 12-12-2013, 11:34 AM

5:30am this morning and had an hour of B road all to myself :

Arrived about 8:45am and Raymond got straight at the roof with his scissors...

So after a whole morning of us both putting the UK's economy straight, reorganizing the English, Welsh and Scottish parliaments, blaming Jimmy Saville for everything and learning South African sign language, I ended up with a brand new mohair roof that fits like a glove!...

Some gratuitous beading shots...

The fit and finish is better than I could have hoped for and although it's literally 'drum tight' at the moment and it'll relax over the next few weeks, I'm very impressed with the workmanship and service that I've received. Plus, considering this roof cost £5 less than the annual road tax for an S it's incredible value for money!

Thanks for the road trip advice. After the roof was done I ended up taking the A470 and taking the car for a good 30 mile strop over the Brecons on the way home.

Even set a new fuel record!!! (amazing considering the thrash across the countryside and going sideways out of every junction/round about apex I found)

And now she's just a dirty bitch in a nice new hat

Quick Reply: Trip to Jack R. Smith Motor Trimmers