UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Twitchy rear end?

Old 10-14-2001, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The speed limit here is 70 mph. By really motoring, you can assume it was more than that!!!
Old 10-14-2001, 02:40 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I am amazed how forgiving the car is, in view of the reputation.

As long as you've warmed it up thoroughly.

In the cold, the rear does feel like there's ball bearings on the road. I think Wednesday was cold and gloomy.

Many on the Ameican website seem to believe if it's below 10C, fit snowchains. Or not OEM S-02's anyway. I am still considering winter tyres.
Old 10-14-2001, 04:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by muppet
[B]The speed limit here is 70 mph.
Old 10-14-2001, 10:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tokyo_james
[B]

Old 10-14-2001, 11:59 PM

I've only been driving an S2000 for a few weeks but that has almost exclusively been in wet conditions. I was very nervous about driving in the wet after all the comments on this board but I can honestly say the car has been rock solid. I have more confidence now with this car in the wet than my previous car. 70mph in the wet is not a problem.

I would take comments from the American board with a pinch of salt. Different climate, different road surfaces, different drivers. I have paid more attention to comments from UK drivers and they have not been too bad.
Old 10-15-2001, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by ianb
I've only been driving an S2000 for a few weeks but that has almost exclusively been in wet conditions. I was very nervous about driving in the wet after all the comments on this board but I can honestly say the car has been rock solid. I have more confidence now with this car in the wet than my previous car. 70mph in the wet is not a problem.

I would take comments from the American board with a pinch of salt. Different climate, different road surfaces, different drivers. I have paid more attention to comments from UK drivers and they have not been too bad.
I think the key thing is to drive with a modicum of common sense. Any car can be provoked into loosing traction in the wet, you just get a rather different effect with RWD I know I treat the S2000 with a great deal more respect in the wet than any other car I've owned.

Cedric summed it up SMOOTH, both throttle & steering and all should be well. There is always the unexpected like a diesel spill or other road irregularity that can catch you out though.
Old 10-15-2001, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY

The annoying thing is you will probably never know
You are right there... the car is being sold this week, so no chance to ever find out...

Any offers... Silverstone, 12,000 miles, one careful owner (another one not so careful!!) GBP1,750 - cheap huh....
(mods -
no suspension front or rear
re-shaped front drivers side wing
re-shaped rear passenger side wing
only 3 brake discs (saves weight)
only 2 wheels (saves weight) ....)
Old 10-15-2001, 02:49 AM

Are you still in Japan ? If the car's in the UK, then a friend of mine is interested in a working S2000 engine and transmission to put in his Westfield (to improve his emissions you understand), and 1750 quid sounds like a bargain.

Steve
Old 10-15-2001, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by steve_the_greek
Are you still in Japan ? If the car's in the UK, then a friend of mine is interested in a working S2000 engine and transmission to put in his Westfield (to improve his emissions you understand), and 1750 quid sounds like a bargain.

Steve
Unfortunately, yes, I am still in Japan....
Does sound like a bargain doesn't it, I am going to have to speak to the garage and check out whether I can get more... I think that I should be able to...
Old 10-15-2001, 03:47 AM

Ive had the rear end twitch on me in a stright line when wet. I was having a little fun with a 944 and when I changed gear from 1st to 2nd (in VTEC of course), the back give a little wiggle just to let me know it was there and not to do anything stupid.

Its very easy to get the rear to step out in wet corners but its great fun and helps get you through the corner quicker

Quick Reply: Twitchy rear end?