UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The Uk's Great Drives

Old 09-10-2001, 11:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by awinskill
One of the best drives I've ever done is Med to Atlantic across the Pyrennes. OK it's not the UK and best split over a couple of days but it's abosultely amazing drive.

You'll be thankful for RWD at the end of it!

Oh and try not to do it when there's 10 inches of rainfall in 1 day....

You can get down to Toulouse in about 14 hrs......
That reminds me, I've always promised myself to drive the Stelvio pass once. But I really want to upgrade the brakes before I do that!

I don't know if you know it, but its a massive drop, with huge numbers of hair-pins. I've the making of the Elise videos - it shows them testing the MMC brakes, but checking the temperature after going down as quick as they dare! Stunning looking road, and incredible scenary.

A little out of my range for now though....

-Brian.
Old 09-18-2001, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian,

Now the summer holidays are over, you could have some great fun across the mountains in mid-Wales - empty roads, great views.

Peter
Old 09-18-2001, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd second the post about Buxton, spent a weekend there earlier in the year - some great drives in the Peaks although if the weather's fine there are a lot of bikers to look out for and I'm told on busy days the police use a spotter plane....
The Yorkshire moors are good, most people head to the Dales which means the moors roads are clearer (around Helmsley/Pickering and towards the coast Scarborough/Whitby).
For good A roads, though they can get quite crowded Wilts. Glos. have some good places, though because of the higher volume of traffic, and the fact that the roads pass through quite a lot of 30mph villages the drives tend to be a bit stop-start.

Wherever you go, it's best to get out early, before the traffic builds up and watch out for tractors etc. I know several people who have had nasty accidents hitting tractors when going around blind bends at speed early in the morning (I come from N. Yorks. originally).

PS. Only 2 weeks until I get my S2000 test-drive weekend, though after a ride in Keith's (Tyringe) car, there doesn't seem to be any doubt in my mind any more (I originally posted dithering between an S3 and an S2000) the S3 is wooden and uninvolving to say the least - the vtec howl is completely intoxicating and the car (from the passenger seat at least) felt 'alive' (in the best sense of the word). the only reason I haven't ordered one yet is that they'll cancel my test drive if I order.
Old 09-18-2001, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For us southern puff's, the A286 is a blast, providing you don't get caught behind anything too agricultural, since there's not much overtaking. else, further afield, the coastal road from Naples to Sorrento is an absolute scream, once you are out of Naples. Lovely views, although i strongly recommend you leave those to the passenger....

s