UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Under Seat Subs

Old 12-20-2011, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under Seat Subs

I'm running an Alpine HU with some Focal Performance components and want to add a unobtrusive sub to compliment them. I've looked at a couple of other threads on them but they seem to be about cheaper Kenwood or Halfords own brands.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/focal-bus25.html
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/grou...ub1000act.html

Trying to choose between these 2 at the moment. I've only ever had full size enclosures in previous cars. Are these smaller subs actually any good?

They look pretty similar and may actually be the same product but badged up and in a slightly different case.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:58 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

They look different to me (the drivers themselves for a start).

The first question is "will it fit under the seat"?

If one or other does, then it'll probably work pretty well - there is a good advantage to having a sub in the cabin as opposed to the boot.

Any ladies sat in the passenger seat will probably like it a lot
Old 12-20-2011, 05:20 AM

my friend had an alpine one. it didnt fit under so he put it behind the seat.

In all honesty i wouldnt recommend one as i believe you can get a simular sound out of decent amped door speakers. I wasnt impressed.

Then again i have always had a full enclosure sub and they are nothing alike in terms of sound
Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 AM

The sound from the doors is good. Focal comps through a genesis amp, it's just still lacking the lowest octaves. I've heard the alpine and also a pioneer one but I don't think they are in the same class as the ones I mentioned. These both have a quality 10" driver rather than a pretend 'mid-bass' driver.

Don't want to go through the effort of a box in the boot, another amp and more cables. I'm not convinced that either will fit under a seat but the mrs is only short so could be mounted behind the passenger seat.

Might give it a shot. Could always stick it on ebay if it's crap.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:12 AM
UK Moderator

I wonder if it would fit where the spare tyre goes (if you're happy with removing that?)

Just a thought...
Old 12-20-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
I wonder if it would fit where the spare tyre goes (if you're happy with removing that?)

Just a thought...
I did think about that but would need to sort out the rattle from the plastic tray above first.

I have a massive order of silent coat arriving soon so may coat the bottom of the tray to try and cure it!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Chris Harris
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1324393963' post='21250749

Just a thought...
I did think about that but would need to sort out the rattle from the plastic tray above first.

I have a massive order of silent coat arriving soon so may coat the bottom of the tray to try and cure it!
The tray rattle is an utter pain in the rear. unclefester has sorted his as shown here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/874...ing-roof-tray/

I think I might try to persuade him to attack mine in a similar fashion...
Old 12-20-2011, 06:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

MB has one under the drivers seat directed towards the bottom of his back but it's not for bass lol
Old 12-20-2011, 06:39 AM

i just removed mine. it also opened up space for air to move through the car from the sub.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:48 AM

I had one in mine - very usefull , think it was about £60 from halfords , somewere i did a full write up on how to install it...it was never going to win any sound off's but that and a pair of the speakers on the rear pannel made a huge improvement to the sound

Quick Reply: Under Seat Subs