UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Undue movement in soft top

Old 11-14-2010, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undue movement in soft top

Guys
Back again still on noise hunt and cure!

!Had superb feedback regarding catch rattle and that is now sorted.

The only other annoying cabin noise I always get is when during the winterI stow the softtop and fit hard top.
The soft top when stowed can be heard jumping up and banging down down in the back of car which to say the least is annoying ,plus I worry about posssible damge to soft top rear window?a small point I know but is there a cure????
It is as if the soft is moving up and down on the fold point and hitting cabin floor.Hard top stops are firmly located on soft top restraint points.

This year in attempt to stop this occuring when we folded the soft top we placed soft blanketing between folds which ensured hard top " stops" fully contacted soft top, as should,but movement still occurs.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:53 PM

I've a weird feeling of deja vu.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Stiggywig,Nov 14 2010, 02:53 PM

Look I come to this Forum for advice which up to now has been second to none..saracsm I can do without....with a vehicle such as the S2000 there is so little information available that Forums with knowledgeable like minded folkis is the only way to go.

I was born in 1940 the rest I leave up op you...the S2000 is the most exciting vehicle I have ever driven,and I can assure you that over the years I have driven virtually every make of car possible even Jowett Javelins(OOPS!Sorry Stiggywig a bit before your time!)

BUT ONE THING I WOULD NEVER ABIDE WAS A RATTLE OR UNDUE NOISE...so I now have a problem with the soft top bumping up and down when stowed with GT top fitted,all I request is that an interested memberof this Forum if possible gives me some advcie..is that too much to ask ????
Old 11-15-2010, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at these pal:

http://modifry.com/products/ctf/index.htm

They are replacment elastic straps that pull the top down when retracted, if yours have lost they're elasticity then the top might be sitting proud and hitting the bump stops on the HT.

I replaced mine, took 10mins and the top is pulled down nicely. Also stops the soft top latches rubbing on the material

Ben.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by buaan,Nov 15 2010, 01:18 AM

They are replacment elastic straps that pull the top down when retracted, if yours have lost they're elasticity then the top might be sitting proud and hitting the bump stops on the HT.

I replaced mine, took 10mins and the top is pulled down nicely. Also stops the soft top latches rubbing on the material

Ben.

If your soft top is not fully retract it will touch the glass of your hardtop and in every bump it will make noise. Change the elastic bands to allow the softop to get fully retract and this will sort out your problem
Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 AM

THe HT has two rubber feet on the back edge to stop this
Some times the rubber feet fall off
Old 11-15-2010, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by buaan,Nov 15 2010, 01:18 AM

Ben.

Thank you so much for a very professional and possible solution.Others also answered along similar lines but provided links which is what the S2000 Forum is a about not de jevu!!

I will get that implemented a report back Have a great Xmas plus a happy New Year...Derek

Ben.

Thank you so much for a very professional and possible solution.Others also answered along similar lines but YOU provided links which is what the S2000 Forum is a about not de jevu!!
I will get your advice implemented and report back Have a great Xmas plus a happy New Year...Derek
Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 AM

Not a problem,

I can appreciate how annoying that squeek behind your head can become.

Modify's service is efficient, I was impressed with the turn around and the instructions provided with the new straps.

In response to Mikey, one of my feet has fallen off in the past. I'll have to source another from Honda as this might be why I get a squeek over large bumps in the road.

Ben.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 AM

If your hardtop feet have fallen off then you can proably get them from Honda Original Parts website
http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_ca...hp?mod_01=19250

Hope you sort out your rattle.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 AM

good thread!

mine makes a similar annying noise, and i thought mainly it was down to the car being so low with the stiffness of the coilovers too.

ill do some investigating!

Quick Reply: Undue movement in soft top