S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   V Car Register (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/v-car-register-230556/)

majp 08-24-2004 07:31 AM

V Car Register

Anyone know anything about cars registered on V Car ??

I know this means they've been damaged, written off, HPI / Finance problems, stolen / recovered etc etc etc. Just wondered what the official line was.
Any website links etc ???

Cheers,

Mark.

hazdjc 08-24-2004 09:04 AM

Don't understand the question.

Do you mean V as in the year or has the V replaced the Q

Dracoro 08-24-2004 09:44 AM

If you mean Q then most are kit cars or ex armed service cars or where the original year of the car cannot be ascertained

tim_d 08-24-2004 10:13 AM

Don't think he's talking about Q plated cars (which are cars of indeterminate year of manufacture).
He's asking about the V Car register.. A quick google came up with this so far:

If the auctioneer says the vehicle is on the V-Car register either don't touch it or pay no more than half what you would if it wasn't on the register.
The V-car register means it's either been stolen and written off by the insurance company or it's been damaged and repaired. I was recently at an auction where a Jeep Cherokee went through and this was registered, the vehicle was very nice to look at and the auctioneer said it had been a category 'c' write off. The average punter is NOT going to know what that means but needless to say that whatever it is on the register for it is not worth the usual price.

eSeM 08-24-2004 10:34 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...3d500dba46.jpg

majp 08-24-2004 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by StevenM,Aug 24 2004, 06:34 PM

Thanks Steve - thats what I was looking for.

:thumbup:

eSeM 08-25-2004 12:13 AM

I once sold a bike that was a Cat C writeoff. I got ~ 2/3rds the value I would have got had it not been listed.

(An insurance company had already paid out after I took the 3rd party to court :) )

UK_S2000 08-25-2004 03:17 AM

A quick search on good old Google provided this answer:

If the auctioneer says the vehicle is on the V-Car register either don't touch it or pay no more than half what you would if it wasn't on the register.
The V-car register means it's either been stolen and written off by the insurance company or it's been damaged and repaired. I was recently at an auction where a Jeep Cherokee went through and this was registered, the vehicle was very nice to look at and the auctioneer said it had been a category 'c' write off. The average punter is NOT going to know what that means but needless to say that whatever it is on the register for it is not worth the usual price.

tim_d 08-25-2004 08:09 AM

I already said that, yesterday - keep up.. :rolleyes: :LOL:

S2ThouDriver 08-26-2004 12:56 AM

Cat C cars you really shouldn't go near, especially ones like s2k's- don't touch if you are looking. The s2k has the X frame jobby chassis so if it's a Cat C heavily damaged car you'll struggle to get it straight, it'll be all over the place.

I have always avoided damaged cars for the reason that they have been damaged (obviously), they are worth less, harder to sell, might never drive right etc etc etc, especially sports cars!!

I am also now the owner of my first Cat D registered car and it is an s2k!!!! Provided you do enough digging around you can get yourelf a bargain and enough information on the car so when you sell it then next owner is fully aware of everything that has been done and it is ok. If anything is hidden, walk away.

My car was spun at Honda on a test drive and they chose to pay the difference in value lost by Honda insurance and sell it on (so they didn't have to sell a repaired car on the fourcourt). I also managed to speak to the guy who actually crashed it!! and he explained what happened and the damage. i then got photos of the car pre-repair and after and have invoices for all the parts etc etc So i was lucky to get a good un.

In a nutshell, i have got a 99 s2k with 25k on the clock for a nice price. Yes it's worth less but i paid less so it should de-value the same as others, but i couldn't aford a full price one ;-)

Chances are if i'd bought a non repaired one, i'd crash it anyway (just my luck).

Just thought i'd add my side of the story incase you are thinkng about buying one and have any concerns etc. PM me if you need and more info etc

regards

Rob