S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   A valve retainer question for the clever folk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/valve-retainer-question-clever-folk-1191712/)

Fatbloke 02-09-2019 01:03 PM

A valve retainer question for the clever folk

I'm thinking about having the valve retainers on my MY02 engine swapped for the stronger facelift ones. The engine's in great condition, mileage is only early 50's, but I'm keeping the car until death us do part so it seems like a worthwhile endeavour.

The popular wisdom seems to be that only the intake side is susceptible to damage, but is it worth getting the exhaust side done as well while the top end's opened up?

Also, like most early cars, it likes a drop of oil, so is it worth getting the seals replaced while it's in bits?

Or is the whole idea pointless?

Any opinions from the technically minded welcome, as ever.

Cheers,
FB

RobinA3 02-09-2019 01:22 PM

When I had my 02MY S2000 I changed the retainers and had them crack tested, mine didn’t have any cracks but recently I had been given a couple of retainers which had cracks in them which i had sectioned to analyse the fracture face.

My advice would be to change change both sides so inlet and exhaust budget permitting.

As for changing stems seals I would say yes you should change them at the same time, it makes no sense in not, it’s like doing a cambelt change and not doing the water pump at the same time.

You may find like I did that changing the stem seals does not solve or impact your oil consumption. Mine used about a litre every 500-600 hard miles and it remained the same afterwards.

tozerman 02-10-2019 12:09 AM

No need to swap the exhaust retainers, the valves are much smaller so less stress. It is almost unheard of Ex valve retainers cracking.
just do the intake.
Regarding stem seals, if you get a puff of smoke out the exhaust upon first start in the morning then swap them, if not then save your money.
I did mine a few years ago now, turns out they were perfect, but was a good insurance policy.
Old ones make a nice key ring trinket.

​​​​

Nick Graves 02-10-2019 08:37 AM

One thing that might be of interest - there is a valve spring recall on Hachiroku.

There is apparently an adapter that replaces the plug and allows one to blow up the valves with compressed air in order to stop them dropping out - so you don't need to lose your head.

Such a device would similarly make replacing S2000 valve retainers a whole lot easier.

Fatbloke 02-10-2019 10:09 AM

Thanks all:thumbup:

Fatbloke 02-10-2019 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
One thing that might be of interest - there is a valve spring recall on Hachiroku.

There is apparently an adapter that replaces the plug and allows one to blow up the valves with compressed air in order to stop them dropping out - so you don't need to lose your head.

Such a device would similarly make replacing S2000 valve retainers a whole lot easier.

Much as I'd enjoy having a go, I think I'll let someone more experienced and less ham-fisted than me do this job.

No shortage of Kwik Fits round here :ponder:

tozerman 02-10-2019 11:26 AM

No need for any fancy way of not dropping a valve.
Simply ensure the piston is at TDC the valve will only drop about 5mm or so, no issues at all....

tozerman 02-10-2019 11:28 AM

I would do it for you, but I sold my valve spring compressor when I sold my car...

Fatbloke 02-10-2019 12:21 PM

Only joking about the Kwik Fits - I'm just down the road from Veysport (the guy who looked after MB's race car) so I go there too :thumbup:

Fatbloke 02-10-2019 12:21 PM

What parts are needed for the swap, other than the retainers themselves, btw?