UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Valves Adjusted by Honda. Now Problems!! Help needed

Old 06-18-2017, 03:09 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by kamiik
Aylesbury Honda. Not my closest dealership but they didn't have much on and could fit me in when straight away.
Now you know why.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update - Honda rang me on Monday claiming the car was ready for collection and nothing was wrong with the valve clearance. They said the apparent issues I was experiencing was due to a stretched timing chain, throwing out my timing, causing misfiring.
I do have a slightly noisey tct from time to time, However! The car never has run as rough as this, when I drove the car to the garage it was fine and when the mechanic drove it into the workshop it was fine.
The chap on the phone had the cheek to say he would not charge me for the valve check ( uhh duh I've already paid you for it the first time )
But he then said they have not done a compression test or leak down test (which I was told would be done!) and if I wanted any further investigation or compression tests etc... it would come out of my pocket.
Anyways after a very brief conversation with his manager explaining my issues I was promised a leak down and a compression test to be completed for today.

So I get the call today. They have completed a compression test (he said number where 195, 190, 170, 190) and was told this is pretty good results, the engine is healthy.. please can some one confirm? from my understanding its the difference in the numbers you have to worry about not how high the numbers are?
he then said that they could not do a leak down test as they do not have the equipment and that he had never heard of it before. Do Honda do leak down tests?
lastly the car has been test driven and apparently my issues have gone away?!

So from my cars valves being fine and a stretched timing chain causing misfiring yesterday to my cars been compression tested and road tested and its now driving fine... something doesn't add up... they didn't mention if they changed anything like the knock sensor or anything.

I'm going to go to honda after work have a test drive my self with a mechanic on board. I will try and get a write up of it all before i leave, but if the car is working should i still be worried about the knock sensor and the "stretched timing chain"??
Old 06-20-2017, 04:50 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Knock sensor would through a code I think.
10% within cylinder psi is ok
stretched chain would not happen overnight.
170 is the main concern
my last engine all 240 apart from 0 on one.i replaced engine because of bore wash.
Test drive and hope a more members chime in here on your next move !!!
Maybe go to an independent for a leakdown to establish valve or cylinder causing low psi ???
Old 06-20-2017, 04:57 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

195, 190, 170, 190
I would be midly concerned with #3....they should be fairly consistent, sounds like there is a little wear on the valve or the valve adjustment needs to be done again?
Old 06-20-2017, 05:42 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

ffs something smells fishy

you haven't put any fuel in it lately have you? i wonder if they left something disconnected or disturbed something and in checking it they've resolved that. If indeed they checked it.

i had a coilpack issue and the car would stutter at high revs, albeit this is on FI (see about 24s in vs normal for the rest of the vid)

but i dont think it smoked
Old 06-20-2017, 07:21 AM

I was worried about #3 being 170 but is it just within Honda's 28psi discrepancy. So not sure I can ask them to re-do the valves. I think a leak down test is needed for that cylinder 3. So i will get it done at an indy garage.

Nottm_S2 - No I haven't filled it up recently. I was going to fill it up after I got it back from the garage. And that is my worry, they found something was like oh shit and put it back and now they are saying its all fine.

Hopefully the test drive will prove its all okay otherwise i will be leaving it there and keeping the jazz for another day! Really killing me this jazz Think regardless of what happens I will inform Honda UK
Old 06-20-2017, 08:11 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

My money is a sensor was left disconnected or the coilpacks weren't clipped on fully. The fact its gone back to being like it was before you dropped it off definitely points at a sensor or electrical issue. Your timing chain must be well and truly knackered if its able to stretch and compress back again over night, bloody cowboys

Episodes like this really don't do Honda any favours!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

[QUOTE=noodels;24235587]
stretched chain would not happen overnight.
QUOTE]

And wouldn't shrink back by itself, they obviously found whatever they cocked up, and are keeping mum.

Would be satisfying if the sump plug worked loose on the Jazz, overnight, accidentally, possibly they didn't tighten it properly last service.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes when checking the valve clearances it helps to disconnect the fuel injectors to make room for getting your hands and feeler gauges in the right spot. If the injector plug is on but not 'clicked' all the way down it will sometimes work and sometimes not work. This causes the car to maybe fire up fine and then a check engine light down the road as the car has heated up. Did you find out what codes the check engine light was for?
Old 06-22-2017, 01:33 AM

Update – I collected my car on Tuesday. When I arrived I questioned what was wrong and was told the same as before nothing was wrong. They redone the valve clearances to the top limit as they was apparently in the middle and the car drives fine. They never heard of the leak down test but I got some compression figures scribbled on a bit of paper? Was doubtful that these are even my results. Also now that I have been complaining about my car, they have given be a the same report I got at the start but with a one hundred and one wrong with my car!

I took the car for a quick test drive with one of their guys. Straight away the clutch felt different (I knew it was getting notchy) the guy who jumped in was a big guy, so when I put my foot down and thought it was lacking power I thought it could be him, but car revved to 9k freely after I left I realized my clutch had been completely destroyed and any time I tried to hit vtec my clutch would straight away slip. ( on the plus side no shuddering or smoke or anything when climbing to 9k haha)

I didn’t think they would have anything to do with the clutch especially as they told me the car hasn’t been road tested. Upon getting home and looking over the paper work. I asked for a copy of their report not just the one they give you. In that report it shows the same mechanic that f****d it up the first time carried out the work the second time!! ( I asked for a different mechanic ) And he DID take it for a drive on the Saturday after I dropped it off ( I was thinking okay maybe he wanted to see for himself the problems ) then I worked out the mileage from when I dropped it off to when I got it back. It seems he did a 14 mile test drive while my car was still having problems!! What a c***!! Why was he driving my car for such a long period while it was still having issues!

So now I need a new clutch as soon as possible! I’ll still write to Honda because the service from the garage was less that satisfactory and a joy ride??!! Come on I know Saturday was amazing weather but don’t take my car out for a cruise when its due for repair!!!!!!!

Well that’s the end of my Honda Aylesbury experience for good! Also thank you guys for all your input. It was much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Valves Adjusted by Honda. Now Problems!! Help needed