UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Vented bonnet and respray questions

Old 10-26-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vented bonnet and respray questions

Evening all

I have a set of AT throttles bolted to side of my engine and could do with a vented bonnet to help with Temps, which would be the best option bearing in mind our inclement weather?

I'm also getting the car sprayed as it's battered, now I could stick to Silverstone and be happy or go for a colour change.
The problem with the latter is I can't be arsed stripping everything to do it right,so just wondering what people's opinions are on having an engine bay a different colour to the rest of car?

Cheers!
Old 10-26-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

If you're looking to sell, different colours could affect resale. If you're keeping it, it's completely up to you. If it were me, I could put up with silver/grey engine bay as it doesn't scream 'not supposed to be like this'. If it were red and you sprayed it blue or yellow, for example, it would be hideous.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

there is a previous vented bonnet thread somewhere on here.

I have a mugen CF rep which is good fitment, can be purchased for around 500 to 600 quid. If your lucky you can get rain screens for the vented parts which will prevent you sucking in water along with small children.

Alternatively consider cutting the OEM bonnet and fitting some mesh, looks good too.

Personally I couldn't give too hoots which shade of resale grey my car is (if it were to be resale grey).

If you have OCD or are particularly anal retentive I would save yes get it all sprayed up including all cuts, but if not why bother. just do what people can see.

Mike
Old 10-26-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, I noticed an IAT drop of around 1 to 2 degrees @ full operaitonal temps with vented hood, not a massive amount really
Old 10-26-2015, 10:20 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The best way to reduce temps with ITBs without a plenum intake is probably a NACA duct just above them, and have a bonnet with the large vent at the front to extract radiator heat.... And wrap your manifold.

This is close to perfect. Also comes with rain blanks. Downside is that it's $6000

Old 10-26-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I've a Spoon vented bonnet to rid the bay of some additional engine heat from the charger, and it's a PITA. I does noticeable reduce heat over stock but any rain pours straight onto the air filter and some of the electrics around the radiator.

I'm not sure there are rain thingies like the Mugen, which are very cool.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a Mugen with the so called rain channels and although I don't use the car much in rain it's a pain when I wash it...even when I direct the water just from the front.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:01 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

As you have a Silverstone car I wouldn't worry about keeping the bay silver. Most rally cars have the engine bay sprayed white/silver so it helps show up leaks etc.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:00 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Proper color change requires taking the car apart. Otherwise the car looks like the other word for poop.

If you have a "matching numbers" hood/bonnet leave it alone or pick up one from another car and bugger modify it. One or two degrees of temperature at the intake isn't worth bothering with (even if it's Centigrade). Vented hood will help with heat soak if your intake is under there but it's easier to move the air intake outside.

Now that someone mentioned it I've no clue how a buddy washes his car with the hood vents there. These just trace the inner hood reinforcement panel. I'm sure the original owner thought this was a good idea for a turbo-charged car.

-- Chuck
Old 10-28-2015, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a J's style hood and i plan to rid of it and do the above. The vent is right over the filter now its turbo charged so i had to make a rain screen out of a pasta packet for now...

Just to add - the noise with an FIPK was nuts with a vented hood

Quick Reply: Vented bonnet and respray questions