UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

VSA modulator saga

Old 02-10-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSA modulator saga

Hi all,

There have been numerous threads previously discussing the seemingly common issue with Honda's VSA module and the delightful expense they ask for a replacement.
The purpose of this thread is to offer constructive feedback on a possible alternative and not to deduce the merits of not having VSA in the first place or the foolhardiness in not taking out an extended warranty

So yes, mine when pop. The dreaded dash board light came on and strangely neither the Torque Pro app or a plug in unit recognised any fault.

I took the motor into a local garage recommended by someone in the trade and they obtained a code using more sophisticated equipment. Honda's response to the error code?

"Yes that will be £1900 for a new modulator".

I'll not repeat my thoughts although I felt some degree of comfort in knowing companies were out there that offered a repair service. The issue I had was how trustworthy were they?

I couldn't find a hit on here to suggest they were any good although when I mentioned it to the garage they said the company that had been mentioned on here before had been used previously and were held in high regard.

So I took the plunge and had the beast sent off. They run some tests and confirmed the unit was repairable and went ahead on the say so. So a significant saving from £1900 to £165.

The impressive side to this is that a lifetime warranty is also offered. With Honda units allegedly going pop all the time I did wonder if a new unit would carry the same inherent fault so the reassurance of a warranty offered some peace of mind.

Does it work?

Well yes. It is early days and I only got it back today so I'll give it some spirited exercise this weekend with and without VSA and keep you posted.

In the interim, if anyone picks up on this post and wants to prompt me via this thread or PM to see how things are going, please feel free. If it helps people save a few bob that'll please me.

I must stress I'm not affiliated to this company in any way. Apparently there are others out there, it was only this one I tried from a search on S2ki - so thank you!!

Here is the site.

http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/...amc202624.html
Old 02-10-2014, 12:26 PM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hammyS2
Your link doesn't work

I assume it's this:

http://www.ecutestin..._amc202624.html

Chris.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by chrisr111
Originally Posted by hammyS2' timestamp='1392064454' post='23008680
Your link doesn't work

I assume it's this:

http://www.ecutestin..._amc202624.html

Chris.
That's the one. Thanks Chris.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

simplest solution.........................don't have one, take out the switch, replace with a blank, disconnect the light.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The purpose of this thread is to offer constructive feedback on a possible alternative and not to deduce the merits of not having VSA"
Old 02-11-2014, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chinook
"The purpose of this thread is to offer constructive feedback on a possible alternative and not to deduce the merits of not having VSA"

Whilst tempting it's worth checking the insurance policy beforehand as they don't need any encouragement.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting post. At the price these guys and fix the ecu I begin to wonder what the problem is. Quite often with units like this, its a mechanical failure, a bad joint, poor contact, a heavy component vibrated loose from the circuit-board etc. Has anyone had a look inside I wonder ?
Old 02-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Very useful post hammy.

You should.... http://www.ecutesting.com/write-a-review.html
Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 PM

Didn't realise this was a) a common problem b) such an expensive fix from Honda.

Hope you get some good results with this!
Old 02-12-2014, 12:25 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by hammyS2
Originally Posted by Chinook' timestamp='1392148580' post='23010623

Whilst tempting it's worth checking the insurance policy beforehand as they don't need any encouragement.
As it was an option not a standard part insurance shouldn't be a problem. And it was constructive feedback, one that would result in quite a saving, but if Ecutesting know what part fails and offer a lifetime warranty it might be worth getting a working one modded before it goes bang.

Quick Reply: VSA modulator saga