UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

VSA modulator saga

Old 02-12-2014, 01:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I seem to recall being told when our vsa went, that it was integrated with the ABS, so it does affect the insurance (luckily ours was covered by an extended warranty)
Old 02-12-2014, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt A
Interesting post. At the price these guys and fix the ecu I begin to wonder what the problem is. Quite often with units like this, its a mechanical failure, a bad joint, poor contact, a heavy component vibrated loose from the circuit-board etc. Has anyone had a look inside I wonder ?
It's an interesting point Capt A.

On the basis they offer a lifetime warranty it does make you wonder if this company have identified the common fault and isolated it with a more resilient component or improve the structure. E.g sourced a different electronic component from somewhere. Either way, having the confidence in offering a lifetime warranty would suggest this may well be the case.

It begs the question as to whether this approach has been taken by Honda on their replacement units. At that price there won't be many willing to take the chance I wouldn't have thought.

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle
Very useful post hammy.

You should.... http://www.ecutesting.com/write-a-review.html
Cheers Mr AE. I'll give it a little while and provide some feedback. Apparently they do quite a bit of work across the range of vehicle manufacturers so maybe there is a common problem with things like chip sets ??

Originally Posted by garylythgoe
Didn't realise this was a) a common problem b) such an expensive fix from Honda.

Hope you get some good results with this!
Cheers Gary. I'll report back after a spell to let the forum know.

Originally Posted by soupdragon
I seem to recall being told when our vsa went, that it was integrated with the ABS, so it does affect the insurance (luckily ours was covered by an extended warranty)
Spot on soupdragon. Indeed it is and one very good excuse for the insurance companies to stamp "VOID" all over your claim. Like they need any encouragement
Old 02-12-2014, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hammyS2
It begs the question as to whether this approach has been taken by Honda on their replacement units. At that price there won't be many willing to take the chance I wouldn't have thought.
Surely Honda's replacement is just a new one off the shelf.

It'll almost certainly be crap manufacturing. I'd put money on it just being a dodgy dry joint somewhere that anyone with a half decent soldering iron could fix.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

The pressure sensor in the modulator fails, very common problem across a lot of manufactures, BMW, Ford, Mazda, Suzuki, VAG range and Honda, The same failure in all the units, some did extended warranty on the units and some did a good will gesture
Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
It's a Bosch unit and the pressure sensor in the modulator fails, very common problem across a lot of manufactures, BMW, Ford, Mazda, Suzuki, VAG range and Honda, The same failure in all the units, some did extended warranty on the units and some did a good will gesture
I'm sorry that is not correct.

The S2000 VSA modulator is made by Ate not Bosch.

Chris.