UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wales roadtrip & trackday in my S

Old 09-20-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wales roadtrip & trackday in my S

Thought i'd share a brief insight into my first long haul trip in my S since owning it. Left a grey and murky Norfolk for Wales with a group of 7 other friends last Monday. We all stayed in a wonderful barn conversion just outside Llangnog on the edge of Snowdonia, a perfect base for the weeks driving.

Tuesday morning was a 5am rude awakening for nearly a 2 hour drive to Anglesey circuit, the main purpose of our visit. We spent the day there having a loon round and basking in some wonderful late summer sun, We really couldn't have asked for a nicer day! If anyone has the itch to drive Anglesey, you've really got to book up and do it. such a fantastic circuit, really glad we made the long trip to the other side of the country. 110% worth it! a brief pit stop for some shopping, and we were all headed back to the house for an "early night" Easy to loose track of time with a ready supply of beers and a huge hot tub!

Wednesday morning was a bit of a late start, but following a monster breakfast we set off north again, this time en route to the evo triangle. Headed around there to waste a bit more fuel then picked up the A5 to Betws-y-Coed for MORE fuel. From here we continued a short way up the A5 and picked up the A4086/A498/A4085 around Mt Snowdon in a huge loop, Back down to pick up the A487 near Porthmadog and wiggling our way back towards base.

Thurdsay was another long day. We left, fully loaded, heading for the bottom end of the snowdonia national park and the "Mach loop" jet training area in the hope that we might see something fast & loud. The RAF made sure we weren't disappointed with an exceptionally low pass by a Eurofighter just as we'd all parked up a quick break. After a few wows and feeling suitably satisfied, we continued on south-ish. Stopping for Lunch at Llanbrynmair, we wiggled cross country towards Llandovery and the beginning of the Black mountain pass over the Brecon Beacons. We arrived at the start of the pass around 5:30 pm so it was practically deserted. Yet another awesome road, and possibly the best i've ever driven to date. The perfect way to leave Wales, on a total high. A brief stop after the pass to collect ourselves and it was time to settle in on the M4 for the long trip home. 280 miles and almost 5 hours later that was it... all over...

In short, a top week. Not a drop of rain until the drive home.

Can't recommend it enough to anyone who's after a short driving break. Hopefully pics will follow soon once they're uploaded somewhere.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a great week

I have driven nearly all the roads you mentioned but sadly not all in one go. The thing I like about driving in Wales is you don't need to drive fast to enjoy the roads
Old 09-20-2014, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey81
Sounds like a great week

I have driven nearly all the roads you mentioned but sadly not all in one go. The thing I like about driving in Wales is you don't need to drive fast to enjoy the roads
I'd go back in a heartbeat, never seen roads like it! And for the most part, they're all really well maintained and looked after. We were discussing exactly the same thing, 50-60mph doesn't seem like a lot on most roads but on those wonderful flowing, twisty roads it's hard to maintain that sort of speed. Not for lack of trying though!
Old 09-20-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounded a very good trip

Where you stayed, Was it not Llangynog? If so, you couldn't have chose a much better route to North wales really. Some amazing roads up there locally known as "The Berwyns"
Old 09-20-2014, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Toms1989
Sounded a very good trip

Where you stayed, Was it not Llangynog? If so, you couldn't have chose a much better route to North wales really. Some amazing roads up there locally known as "The Berwyns"
Yeah, exactly that! poor spelling on my part there. We went from Llangynog, along the B4391 to Bala then then through to the A5 th Betwys-y-Coed. Fantastic road, even at 5:30am when it was littered with sheep!
Old 09-21-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RobAp1
Originally Posted by Toms1989' timestamp='1411245116' post='23338634
Sounded a very good trip

Yeah, exactly that! poor spelling on my part there. We went from Llangynog, along the B4391 to Bala then then through to the A5 th Betwys-y-Coed. Fantastic road, even at 5:30am when it was littered with sheep!
I literally live on them roads, sheep are a mare when you're going well

When you get right up the top and it's JUST been tarmac'd, I'd even go as far as to say it's better than the EVO triangle.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Toms1989
Originally Posted by RobAp1' timestamp='1411247702' post='23338665
[quote name='Toms1989' timestamp='1411245116' post='23338634']
Sounded a very good trip

I literally live on them roads, sheep are a mare when you're going well

When you get right up the top and it's JUST been tarmac'd, I'd even go as far as to say it's better than the EVO triangle.
[/quote]

I thought that B road was more fun than the evo personally. The evo was great, especially the fast flowig bit, but we drove plenty of roads that were easily as good, if not better.

Thinking of moving to Wales now!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should have stayed on for the Mega Meet!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:24 AM

Nice write up, its a bit of a haul from Norwich i've done it in my van towing a large caravan.

Angelsey is a great circuit especially if the sun is shinning, have not driven it in the car but have done a day on the bike

Old 09-22-2014, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
you should have stayed on for the Mega Meet!
Would have been great to stay on but work was calling unfortunately

Quick Reply: Wales roadtrip & trackday in my S