UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Warning to New Owners of Black S2k

Old 08-02-2001, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning to New Owners of Black S2k

I was travelling near Heathrow yesterday and noticed a new black S2k clearly being delivered to a dealer, no front plate. As it pulled away from the lights you could hear the car in Vtec, so anybody taking delivery of a black S2k take note !
Old 08-02-2001, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depressing
Old 08-02-2001, 02:20 PM

Makes you wonder if any of our cars were thrashed in the period before ownership... i know my dealer had taken mine 'out' to top up the petrol....
Originally posted by gdowsett-uk
I was travelling near Heathrow yesterday and noticed a new black S2k clearly being delivered to a dealer, no front plate. As it pulled away from the lights you could hear the car in Vtec, so anybody taking delivery of a black S2k take note !
Old 08-02-2001, 03:04 PM
tnt

I wonder what Honda's response would be to this incident?
Old 08-02-2001, 10:43 PM

I think we need to put ourselves in the shoes of the people who work with and around our cars across the country.
If a delivery man / mechanic etc has the keys to a supercar within his grasp and his daily drive is a Vauxhall Astra (or similar etc) he is going to be extremely tempted to redline it if at all possible.
I know several mechanics who work for main dealers (one from the Hartwell Honda dealership) and it is not uncommon for cars to be given a hard time.
If you think other people treat your car as you do, you are going to be dissapointed.
I believe part of the service procedure is to have a road test in the car.........I bet the mechanic comes back with a big smile on his face
These cars are built to take abuse, do not worry about it, just enjoy.
Old 08-03-2001, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True, but there is a time and place. I took my ITR into a dealer last weekend. Afterwards 15 miles had been added and they wanted to charge for 1 1/2 hours labour...

Funnily enough I kicked up a stink. I wasn't going to pay for the privelage of giving a mechanic a joyride for coding a key!

-Brian.
Old 08-03-2001, 10:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bmarshall
[B]True, but there is a time and place. I took my ITR into a dealer last weekend. Afterwards 15 miles had been added and they wanted to charge for
Old 08-03-2001, 10:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bmarshall
[B]True, but there is a time and place. I took my ITR into a dealer last weekend. Afterwards 15 miles had been added and they wanted to charge for
Old 08-04-2001, 06:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly it was more involved than that. I had to kick up a big stink for nearly an hour.... only when a lot more customers were about listening did I get anywhere. (This was a Saturday morning - the car was booked in for 9am.)

Eventually they agreed to wave the labour and the alarm handset which halved the bill...

It was actually a big saga. Took a week to get the key in. Then they 'forgot' that it needed an alarm handset as well - it was on the invoice but they had forgotten it. This then took a further week... then they claimed I wasn't booked in for the key coding... finally as you know a key/alarm handset code turned into a mechanics joyride....

There was also a minor problem with the front tracking. They'd set it a few weeks back, but the car didn't feel quite right. Now I've a trackday tomorrow (See ya there Andy. ) so I wanted it right. I didn't want them to do it, but they wouldn't give me the tracking settings so I could have another garage check it. Ended up phoning Honda UK who couldn't tell me, but gave the dealer a kick to tell me. Running out of time so I went to a National Tyres place. The boss was happy to squeeze the car in. They did a great job getting the tracking absolutly spot on. Then there was a nice, polite enquiry from the boss (a youngish lad - early twenties.). He asked if he could see the engine. So I showed him the engine, reved it a bit for him, had a chat etc. Turns out he runs a CRX, but want's a Civic Type-R. He didn't charge me.

Funnily enough I'm not going back to the Honda dealer, but if I have any business for the National Tyres place there, they'll get it.

Shows the two extremes in one saga... one dealership without a clue, and a nice Honda enthusiast. Thankfully 99% of the people I've met to do with the car are in the nicen category.

-Brian.