UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Which Wax?

Old 11-04-2001, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by awinskill
[B]I found these guys out there:

http://www.intachem.co.uk/polish_details.html
Old 11-04-2001, 07:12 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

I used AutoGlym for quite a while, but then started trying other products, Finish first was the most recent on the S. I found an old bottle of Autoglym in the garage, and put a coat on before the Rick Hesel Fall colors meet. I actually had a fellow owner ask me about it. The only problem is that I don't know where to buy it in the US anymore. The mail order house that carried it stopped and I can't find any place else to buy it.
I still think it's the best wax I've ever used.
Old 11-11-2001, 06:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my results of using P21S, which I bought when this thread started.

I washed the car as normal. Then used the P21S Paint Cleanser. This went on very easily. A bit like Autoglym's Extra Gloss, but without the horrible smell! Came off very easily as well. My car's only 2 months old, but I thought it best to use the cleaner to give fair results - the Autoglym had been used from new.

The wax itself, comes in a tub. It took a bit longer to apply than Extra Gloss - I used a small area of a pure cotton cloth. I did the whole car, which in hindsight wasn't the best idea.

Taking the wax off took a bit of time. It was very like taking Extra Gloss off, but without that fine powder that used to cling to the car. The wax had full dried which the instructions warn you, makes it harder to take off. Next time I'll do a few panels at a time. Not very difficult, but it did take me maybe 20-30 minutes longer in total that using Autglym. No big deal.

Anyway, here's some pictures. The light was pretty bad so the camera used fill in flash - but the pictures still give a good idea.

Overall, I'm really impressed. I've a very deep high gloss shine. It wasn't too hard to put on or take off, and was pleasant to use. I didn't need very much so I'm sure it's going to last a long time as well. I can't comment on how well it holds up to a UK Winter, but I'll post how it fare's if there's interest.

The pictures are 1024x768 (I shrank them a little bit.), and around 160kb each, if you're using a modem.

-Brian.
Old 11-11-2001, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian:

Impressive!

Tyre walls want blacking though!
Old 11-11-2001, 06:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]Brian:
Impressive!
Old 11-11-2001, 07:14 AM

Looks really good Brian.
Old 11-11-2001, 12:04 PM

Really nice deep shine.....
Time and money well spent me thinks

About the tyre walls... the autoglym is pretty good I found.
Old 11-11-2001, 12:38 PM

Tyre dressings are sooo needed to finish off a well presented car. I've got a couple of favorites in Armor All's tyre foam dressing and Zymol's "Tyre" dressing.
Armor All gives quite a shiny finish that lasts a couple of weeks, Zymol can be polished/wiped to give matt black or gloss finish and lasts pretty well too. I still like the Autoglym dressing but find that if not applied with an old sponge the spray bottle doesn't last very long. Nice finish but it soon washes of in my experience. Tyre Slik is also quite well reviewed but is really shiny when first applied, the good thing is the finish lasts nearly forever.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha! I use Armor All's tyre foam dressing (spray it on, and unlike what is says on the tin - wipe it off before fully dry or it streaks) - Armor All products get such a pounding on the US threads - tho this is primarily their nasty sticky dash treatments. There tyre foam is the bizz!
Old 11-12-2001, 02:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.. I've used Tyre Foam which is good. I'm currently using Auto Glym's Tyre Dressing which is quite expensive and I'm not overly impressed with it.

The best stuff I've ever used was lent to me to try by a neighbour who's now moved away. I think it was called 'Black Magic' and I seem to recall it was sprayed on, but the surplus, buffed off straight away. It produced a great 'new tyre' look without being OTT and shiney.It lasted for yonks too. He said he'd bought it from Halfords but I've never seen any there.

I might be wrong on the Magic bit but it was Black... something.

Quick Reply: Which Wax?