UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Weird rattle

Old 09-15-2014, 07:43 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Weird rattle

Hi,
Sorry if this is a silly thing to ask but I figured worth a shot as I'm struggling to pin point this noise from my engine.
It started after a wet trackday at rockingham and originally thought it was a tapet that had come loose but they are all fine and within tolorances...
I took it to my local as he's done lots of work for me in the past and he's very good and he reckons it could be the timing chain and guides? I would agree as it does sound firmiliar but the noise to me seems like it coming more from the fuel rail/injectors area of the engine..

I know this is impossible for you guys to say for definite what it is but just wondered if any of you guys could share experiences of curing stupid noises before i start chucking money at things to try and solve it.

The noise is mechanical, almost a suck clunk noise, it happens when cold but maybe slightly noisier, when its warm its not as harsh but still prominent enough to bug me!

Many Thanks
Old 09-15-2014, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check youtube for TCT Rattle sound on S2000 and see if its similar. Normally the first most likely culprit
Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

TCT usually manifests itself when the engine is warm rather than cold.

Check it's not the clutch release bearing thingy.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Better yet get a video up!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by johnckeen
Hi,
Sorry if this is a silly thing to ask but I figured worth a shot as I'm struggling to pin point this noise from my engine.
It started after a wet trackday at rockingham and originally thought it was a tapet that had come loose but they are all fine and within tolorances...
I took it to my local as he's done lots of work for me in the past and he's very good and he reckons it could be the timing chain and guides? I would agree as it does sound firmiliar but the noise to me seems like it coming more from the fuel rail/injectors area of the engine..

I know this is impossible for you guys to say for definite what it is but just wondered if any of you guys could share experiences of curing stupid noises before i start chucking money at things to try and solve it.

The noise is mechanical, almost a suck clunk noise, it happens when cold but maybe slightly noisier, when its warm its not as harsh but still prominent enough to bug me!

Many Thanks
Very likely your TCT requires attention, tons of threads on here - as mentioned check out a S2000 TCT youtube vid of the sound see if its the same as yours, I suspect it is and can be fixed, again lots of threads on here.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:44 AM

TCT was replaced with a new one just over a month ago which cleared up that noise.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:47 AM

Here's the video I took just now with my phone.. Car has just settled from a cold start.

http://youtu.be/lF-heEBb2IE
Old 09-16-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts

Doesnt sound that bad? clearances need doing perhaps?
Try changing your oil unless you have done it.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by johnckeen
Here's the video I took just now with my phone.. Car has just settled from a cold start.

http://youtu.be/lF-heEBb2IE
That sounds like a normal Honda S2000 to me
Old 09-16-2014, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try it with the bonnet open. We might be able to hear it better then, and please film with the camera in the correct orientation!!!

Quick Reply: Weird rattle