UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

wet under my passenger side carpets

Old 02-24-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wet under my passenger side carpets

only picked up my car today, been tinkering with it today and ended up taking the passenger side carpets out because they were soaked underneath. i've searched the forum and found a few people saying about the AC condenser pipe but that seems fine to me, not wet or tangled at all. the rubber mat thats attached to the bottom of the passenger footwell (under the carpet) is also soaked. any ideas where else i can check to see where this water is coming from?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pour water on the softtop around the seals of the passenger window.. Maybe you'll find it streaming its way in if its that wet?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:16 PM

Isn't the heater in the passenger footwell? Sure none of the coolant hoses have come adrift?

This happened in my mates Mini as we were driving along, I got a very hot leg all of a sudden!! Ouchies!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:56 PM

I hate to revive an old thread but I had a similar problem with my US spec LHD 2006. My carpet would only get wet on the passenger side after washing my car (which only gets washed in my driveway) though not every wash. Never got wet driving or parked in the rain (though it rarely sees rain). Not much water would leak in, about few oz or so. So after dealing with it for a couple of months I finally got motivated to find the source. This is what I found:
1. I took a garden hose and ran it at the base of the windshield on the passenger side.
2. After about 5 mins of constant soaking I could see a drop on the passenger floor.
3. Looking under the dash I could see water dripping from the HVAC blower housing.
4. I opened the hood and removed the cowl cover as required to change the cabin air filter. The cabin filter was soaked.
5. I then took a container and poured about an ounce of water near where the hinge bracket for the hood is attached to the body.
6. Water began to leak from the spot weld seam that runs under the hood hinge bracket. Normally it should not cause a problem since the area where the cabin filter is mounted is not water tight. It's designed to drain water from that area. The air inlet to the HVAC system (where the cabin filter is mounted) has about a 1/2" lip to prevent water intrusion. However in my driveway the attitude of the car was just right to allow that drip to land on the filter. After a few minutes of soaking the filter it began to leak onto the blower wheel. My 2x wide driveway has a slight crown so if I washed the car on the right side of the driveway it wouldn't leak onto the passenger floor but would leak every time if I washed it on the left side of the driveway.
7. Solution - I got some 3M black silicone sealant (the car is BB), sealed that spot weld seam and no more leaks since.
I've got to think someone at the factory missed sealing that seam. I'm not the original owner but I'm sure the car hasn't had any body work. At least all of the VIN stickers are intact.
I tried to get some pics but since my car is BB,they didn't really show the details. Follow the DIY on replacing the cabin air filter: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145495 for some good pics of this area.
If your cabin filter is wet look for the source of the leak. Its probably that seam.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:14 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

for thread revivals.