UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What activates the hard top switch?

Old 10-27-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What activates the hard top switch?

Fitted the HT yesterday and thought I'd investigate the fact that the demister in the HT has never worked in all the winters I have had it fitted. I always thought that a fuse had blown, but realised a little while ago that it's more than likely a fault with the hard top switch. Sure enough, with the hardtop fitted I could still raise the roof a little bit, and with the HT removed, but manually holding the switch down, the electric roof was disabled.

So now I know the switch is working, but it's not registering when the HT is fitted, for some unknown reason the HT isn't activating the switch. So my question is, what activates the switch? I'm wondering if a piece of trim has broken off.

EDIT

All fixed now so I thought I'd share. Here's a slightly blurry pic of the plunger switch in question.

Name:  20141207_121328.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  32.2 KB

And here is the underside of the HT bracket, note the small hole just to the left of the spike.

Name:  20141207_120906.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  26.8 KB

As pkane32 suggested there should be a rubber stopper here that activates the switch, mine were missing from both sides. So I ordered 2 replacements from my local Honda dealer along with a new rubber stopper that holds the soft top down for a smidge over £10.

2 minutes later.

Name:  20141207_121102.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  23.5 KB

Heated rear window is now working a treat
Old 10-27-2014, 03:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobbly
Fitted the HT yesterday and thought I'd investigate the fact that the demister in the HT has never worked in all the winters I have had it fitted. I always thought that a fuse had blown, but realised a little while ago that it's more than likely a fault with the hard top switch. Sure enough, with the hardtop fitted I could still raise the roof a little bit, and with the HT removed, but manually holding the switch down, the electric roof was disabled.

So now I know the switch is working, but it's not registering when the HT is fitted, for some unknown reason the HT isn't activating the switch. So my question is, what activates the switch? I'm wondering if a piece of trim has broken off.
As far as Im aware that switch is purely to stop the soft top roof from operating when the hard top is fitted.

Don't think it affects demister operation at all.

Will check wiring diagrams tomorrow for you.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told by the salesman when I got my first s2k that plugging in the demister wire should disable the soft top operation so you can't accidentally raise it with the hard top on. I never tested it though. Have you plugged in the wire?
Old 10-27-2014, 11:39 PM

I'm pretty sure that the switch diverts the power from the soft top demister to the hard top dempster. I have checked with a multi meter to confirm a voltage, I don't think demisters get particularly hot but I think it's probably a good idea that the demister doesn't activate when the soft top is folded down.

The wires definitely plugged in

It seems that the bottom of the HT bracket where the big spike is mounted should depress the switch but the gap is quite large once the roof is locked down. So either the switch has a portion broken off or there is an extra bit missing from the HT bracket that's job is to depress the switch.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 AM

The switch does stop the ST from rising, and prevents inavertent operation the ST HRW.

I think you need to compare yours with a known good setup to determine if there is an evident problem.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:30 AM

I'll try and get some pics on the weekend, it's temporarily bodged with some gaffer tape and a bit of sponge
Old 10-31-2014, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wobbly
I'm pretty sure that the switch diverts the power from the soft top demister to the hard top dempster. I have checked with a multi meter to confirm a voltage, I don't think demisters get particularly hot but I think it's probably a good idea that the demister doesn't activate when the soft top is folded down.

The wires definitely plugged in

It seems that the bottom of the HT bracket where the big spike is mounted should depress the switch but the gap is quite large once the roof is locked down. So either the switch has a portion broken off or there is an extra bit missing from the HT bracket that's job is to depress the switch.
What he said...although there is a slight quirk

Unfortunately the softop demister will still heat up with the roof folded down - it doesn't stop/divert power unless the hardtop switch is depressed.

I know this as my sausage fingers so,metimes (<<see how bad they are) activate it by accident
Old 10-31-2014, 01:35 PM

Think I had the same problem. There is a rubber stopper on the hardtop, which when fitted presses a button beside the spike on the left hand side. When the button is pressed the demister in the hardtop is activated. When the button is not pressed in the soft top demister is activated. I found that the rubber stopper on my hardtop had fallen off.
Might have got my "left hand side" mixed with the "right hand side", so please check, but should see a small spring button near the mounting point.

Cheers
Old 11-04-2014, 01:08 AM

Thanks pkane32, I've had a look on Lings and there is indeed a rubber stopper each side (number 14) LINKY I'll order a couple as they are only a few quid each.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:11 AM

All fixed now, updated with pics in the first post.