UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What is the best way to re-fit the engine

Old 10-27-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the best way to re-fit the engine

As I may have said before I got a bit carried away with de-rusting and rust proofing my car that the engine/gearbox/suspension/subframes etc came off the car and now I'm on with the process of rebuilding it. Every time I have ever removed an S2000 engine I have dropped it complete with gearbox on it's subframe on to a pallet and then lifted the car up with the lift and pallet trucked the engine out.

However I have never been about when they have been re-fitted so my question is; is it better to fit the engine to the subframe then lower the car onto it. Fit the engine AND box to the subframe and lower the car onto it or refit the subframe and steering rack and put the engine in using an engine crane?

Whatever way I go for it needs to envolve minimum scraping of the engine onto the engine bay because I have just painted it.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:28 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Floppy did a good guide on this.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you doing yourself? I just swapped my engine which I had painted black.My subframe and gearbox were in situ and I managed to do it on my own without damaging any of the subframe/engine paint.Its just a case of taking your time and being careful.

If you've got the option of putting it all together and lowering the car over it I would be tempted to do it like that.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will search out floppy's guide thanks for the heads up.

I will be doing this myself, normally I would crack on but I'm trying to keep everything neat. If it is easy enough to lower the engine into the bay I will probably go with that option as lowering the car onto the subframe is not as easy as it sounds on your own.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I refitted mine with the subframe and arms attached. Pump trucked it into position, dropped it onto timber, engine hoist with chains wrapped in rags around the front of subframe and trolley jack under the gear box raised it up into position, took about 20-30 mins with 2 or 3 extra pairs of hands.