UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What bits do I need for undersealing?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What bits do I need for undersealing?

Looking into undersealing the car, but I'm not totally sure what would be best to buy.

Some people say WaxOyl, others say Dinitrol.
I'm not particularly fussed as long as it does the job. I have a couple of car ramps and some axle stands, but no air line... so I'm guessing I need aerosol cans?

I don't have a hot steam washer but I'll be pressure washing the underside of the car and letting it dry completely before applying.
Can anyone recommend what I might need? Or some pointers for application?

Thanks
Sam
Old 03-16-2011, 12:25 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

I'd go for,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165594

And a couple of cheap brushes aerosols work out VERY expensive, spraying means your drive/garage etc. gets done as well, not to mention getting it in your eyes instead of just dribbleing down your wrist, maybey get one can of aerosol for the impossible to get to parts. And some good dust steets/polythean to protect the drive.
Obviously a good pressure wash and brush beforehand and let it dry properly as you said.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never found using aerosols a problem as long as don't buy those useless Waxoyl ones that clog up.
Go to a motor factors, the cans are bigger and have much stronger propellant,comes in clear or black.
Waxoyl gallon can and hand sprayer works well too, wash it through with some white spirit when you finish or it will clog next time, it will need doing annually
Old 03-16-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Shopman
I've never found using aerosols a problem as long as don't buy those useless Waxoyl ones that clog up.
Go to a motor factors, the cans are bigger and have much stronger propellant,comes in clear or black.
Waxoyl gallon can and hand sprayer works well too, wash it through with some white spirit when you finish or it will clog next time, it will need doing annually

GOD I misread that I thought you said "it will need doing analy"
Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you remove all the wheel linears under the arches? or clean then spray on top?

Never done it before, but which parts do you avoid?, for example you must avoid the suspension arms etc?

Cheers
Old 03-17-2011, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Irvatron
Do you remove all the wheel linears under the arches? or clean then spray on top?

Never done it before, but which parts do you avoid?, for example you must avoid the suspension arms etc?

Cheers
Liners are plastic, don't need underseal . Behind them I guess can get and stay wet/damp so worth checking at least.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irvatron

Cheers
I removed the arch liners when I did mine,but I had all the suspension removed anyway.I used waxoyl 2.5ltr pressure can with sprayer plus a long attachment for inside the box sections(which I havent done yet)Plus I bought a 5ltr refill can,which Ive used around half.
I did mine on axle stands with the sprayer and covered the floor with cardboard but to be honest I didnt get too much on the cardboard,but it is quite a messy job.Warm up the Waxoyl in hot water every 10 mins or keep in a bucket of hot water when using.The sprayer puts it on quite thick but I just wrapped rags around anything I didnt want overspray on.Cover your nose/mouth when spraying and when you have a shower make sure you wash out your nostrils otherwise you cant get rid of the smell.