UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What Pads

Old 08-31-2018, 03:44 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree with Stevo regarding the DS2500s. They are okay on the road, but not good on the track on a car over 1200kg, where they will just melt, leaving large deposits on the discs that will then destroy them if continued to be used aggressively.

The DS3000s despite being a step up from these performance wise, eat discs for breakfast due to their very high metal content and also the dust welds itself to wheels as well . The DSUNOs are the middle ground of the Ferodo range, being disc kind, and offering both great performance and longevity, but I don't know if they do these for the S2000, as I personally use Pagid RS29s. At £250 for the front, they are not cheap, but they are fit and forget and last. Braking is fierce with no fade (helped by Castrol SRF fluid and braided hoses). Once you have experienced this kind of braking performance, it is scary to use normal pads .

When the grease on the backing pads dries out (as it invariably does with track use) they do squeal a bit around town at slow speeds, but re-greasing them resolves this.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

i have used a few set ups,
Yellow stuff,,excellent cold bite but fade when pushed hard on a long run ( pedal goes hard and wooden with little retardation), great for short sprints and hill climbs, wear very quickly
DS2500 ,,,,,,compared with yellow stuff poor cold bite but stand up longer when pushed, not so good on short sprints of climbs but ok on longer runs, wear quickly
Dixcel ,,,,,,,,,dire cold bite compared with the ones above but excellent when warmed up on long runs, rubbish for sprints and hill climbs, they went straight in the bin or did i give them away
CL RC5,,,,,,,excellent cold bite and excellent when pushed hard, the same pads for 1.5 seasons sprinting and hill climbing and 3 trackdays,

Brake fluid,
ATE OK on the road and sprinting and hill climbs but on the track i suffered badly with fluid fade ( long squashy pedal ) towards the end of the first track day (new fluid) not a good feeling
Castrol SRF, no problems on two track days sprinting or hill climbs also on Sunday blasts the same fluid all year with just a two pump clean through after each trackday,

Shims,
These get left out a lot i have seen it unpteen times the anti-squeal shim is fitted but the stainless shim which acts as a thermal barrier and helps to slow down the heat transfer from the pad to the piston and subsequently the fluid is often left out, this is the important one,

Of cause this is only my experience and everyone is different and it may take two or three combos till you find one that suits you
Old 09-07-2018, 01:44 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

I am pretty satisfied with DS2500's for a blend of daily driver and spirited driving use. They do give off a lot of brake dust though.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for the advice, there is certainly some good food for thought there so ill have a look around and make a choice soon.

Also Dave thank you for explaining the difference between pad fade and fluid fade, I actually never knew there was a difference!
Old 09-07-2018, 02:59 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
i have used a few set ups,
Yellow stuff,,excellent cold bite but fade when pushed hard on a long run ( pedal goes hard and wooden with little retardation), great for short sprints and hill climbs, wear very quickly
DS2500 ,,,,,,compared with yellow stuff poor cold bite but stand up longer when pushed, not so good on short sprints of climbs but ok on longer runs, wear quickly
Dixcel ,,,,,,,,,dire cold bite compared with the ones above but excellent when warmed up on long runs, rubbish for sprints and hill climbs, they went straight in the bin or did i give them away
CL RC5,,,,,,,excellent cold bite and excellent when pushed hard, the same pads for 1.5 seasons sprinting and hill climbing and 3 trackdays,

Brake fluid,
ATE OK on the road and sprinting and hill climbs but on the track i suffered badly with fluid fade ( long squashy pedal ) towards the end of the first track day (new fluid) not a good feeling
Castrol SRF, no problems on two track days sprinting or hill climbs also on Sunday blasts the same fluid all year with just a two pump clean through after each trackday,

Shims,
These get left out a lot i have seen it unpteen times the anti-squeal shim is fitted but the stainless shim which acts as a thermal barrier and helps to slow down the heat transfer from the pad to the piston and subsequently the fluid is often left out, this is the important one,

Of cause this is only my experience and everyone is different and it may take two or three combos till you find one that suits you
Re the Dixcels, I think you tried the "M" pads in the track car. How are you finding the "Z" pads in my old car?
Old 09-07-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Re the Dixcels, I think you tried the "M" pads in the track car. How are you finding the "Z" pads in my old car?
Yeah i went with the pads that i was informed would give the best cold bite to suit sprints and hillclimbs but alas it wasn't the case, the Z pads on your old car were worn down to within less than 2mm of the metal, so i used the disc's on my sprint car with the CL RC5's a very good combo, your old car now runs OEM pads a bit worrying at first when i have spent the weekend in the other black car at a hillclimb