UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

where's best to get a TCT?

Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay walker
i spoke to billman, he is currently too busy with american orders to sort UK ones, so he said he won't be doing more until about the summer. has anyone got the link to the drilling trick? i know about the sandblasting and i am doing that this week, so will see how long that lasts!
The right oil is also important it keeping rattle free, the main reason I bought two texts previously was because I was using Mobil 1, it was just to thin for these motors (IMO) a fesh oil change and new tct lasted a couple of months before it started to rattle.

Since using the trusted castrol edge TD all has been very well and the sand blasted tct is lasting over a year now.

I make sure I blast the inside of the cylinder also
Old 05-19-2013, 01:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go for a billman, they're a brilliant as mine was. Re the TCT noise, hasn't anyone noticed that pretty much all the 3 pot Vauxhall Corsa's sound utterly utterly woeful with the same noise, under load or at idle regardless? They're chain driven too and clearly experience the same issue, but will run and run in that state with no issues, it's just not pretty. I think we're all a bit precious in that regard - that said, I'm not suggesting for a second not to look for a solution, maybe just not panic as much? Sent from my Sony Xperia
Old 05-19-2013, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

his apparently not doing them for the uk market till the summer. I would like one from him too.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Really? Question him as I'm sure May is a summer month

Sent from my Sony Xperia
Old 05-26-2013, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think it's about time I replaced my TCT as well. Mine is really loud and makes the car sound broken

I'd like to get a Billman one as well, just a shame he's not currently selling to the UK
Old 05-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have new ones in stock, we could actually do a ''billman'' service on these before they go out.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tegiwa Imports
we could actually do a ''billman'' service on these before they go out.
Do you know exactly what Billman does to the TCTs?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:47 AM

Received 1,236 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Tegiwa Imports
We have new ones in stock, we could actually do a ''billman'' service on these before they go out.
Please do not call your product by my name or offer people a product you cannot provide.

It took me over a year just to build the micro tooling needed. It also involves a pressure measuring device to finalize operating force, to ensure chains are not over tightened.

It also involves measuring chains on engines you will never see, hence why I developed the Generation System. This is why I need core returns to document each and every S2000 I build a TCT for.

As much as I want every s2k to have a trouble free engine, I can only do so much. I am currently trying to convert over to GenX, but sadly and unfortunately there is much more going on in my life that the s2k right now, and I wish things were different.

I hope to have the final machines in place by the end of summer, and I will try my best to help.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:57 AM

Received 1,236 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by markforrester99
Im not too sure i agree with alot of the stuff i read about the TCT problems. Say a TCT gets noisy after 60k miles and you remove it, replace with brand new item and that fails within 12 months then i would of thought it points to the chain having stretched over the years rather than a dodgy TCT.

Maybe the chain gets to the point where even a brand new TCT cant tension it correctly? I have read loads of posts about sand blasting etc. etc. but surely people should also consider that maybe their actual timing chain needs replacing? Its almost like fitting a new tensioner to a cambelt rather than replacing the belt itself. I could be wrong of course but i cant see why a brand new TCT would fail within 12 months, its a proven part thats lasted say 60k without any problems so why would the replacement fail so soon, unless their were other issues going on with the timing chain.
This is correct.

The chain can get to a point where it is beyond TCT fix, and attempting to do so will lead to chain breakage.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Originally Posted by Tegiwa Imports' timestamp='1369642751' post='22568979
Please do not call your product by my name or offer people a product you cannot provide.

It took me over a year just to build the micro tooling needed. It also involves a pressure measuring device to finalize operating force, to ensure chains are not over tightened.

It also involves measuring chains on engines you will never see, hence why I developed the Generation System. This is why I need core returns to document each and every S2000 I build a TCT for.

As much as I want every s2k to have a trouble free engine, I can only do so much. I am currently trying to convert over to GenX, but sadly and unfortunately there is much more going on in my life that the s2k right now, and I wish things were different.

I hope to have the final machines in place by the end of summer, and I will try my best to help.
That's why we PM'd to see if we could service the UK/Europe market for you.

Guess not.

Quick Reply: where's best to get a TCT?