UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

"While you're down there" - Engine rebuild 'extras'

Old 06-14-2018, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "While you're down there" - Engine rebuild 'extras'

Hi All,

Unfortunately I'm having to embark on an engine rebuild on my '00 JDM S2000, due to big end bearing failure (fortunately caught very early on, so hopefully limited damage!). I'd rather put it back together as strong as possible as I plan to track the car regularly once completed, so with an emphasis on reliability rather than power gains what would people recommend changing/upgrading while it's apart? My current list goes along the lines of:

APR Head Studs & Rod Bolts, can't seem to find main studs? So probably just new OEM Mains?
Valve Guides & Retainers, worth swapping to AP2 Intake side retainers?
ACL or similar bearings as long as there's no rod damage. If there is, are Brian Crower Rods good? Other alternatives?
New timing chain & tensioner - OEM Honda?
Head Gasket - OEM Honda or aftermarket best?
Hopefully just new rings/hone while it's apart. If not are Wiseco/CP/JE pistons all much the same?
Lightened flywheel worthwhile?

Thanks!

James
Old 06-14-2018, 02:35 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Lots of good info here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...legend-1162841
though it's all Greek to me
The following users liked this post:
Facian (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 03:21 AM

Brilliant thanks! That's my lunch hour sorted
Old 06-14-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

New thrust washers, and tidy them up before fitting, the OE ones have flashing marks all over where it's supposed to draw oil over a ramp from the feed slots, OE vs hand finished + moly coated one:

Old 06-14-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I'd be inclined to clean / check the oil pump and screen filter also.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I would stay with as much OEM stuff as possible, most of the aftermarket parts is not an upgrade at all.
Lighter flywheel is nice, I'm super happy with my ACT prolite.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:30 AM

Thanks I'll add thrust washers to the list, Oil pump check is a definite and I'm going to fit new OEM oil squirter jets & bolts. Mainly because at this point I can't identify the failure cause, I was driving through a 30mph zone and pulled up outside my friends house to the dreaded noise.. Hopefully the strip-down should yield something obvious otherwise I'll want to replace anything that could possibly have contributed to it!

I'll certainly be going OEM as much as i can, with things like piston rings, gasket sets, timing chain/tensioner etc. It just seems to be rods that's not an option (or at least a viable one).
Old 06-28-2018, 09:46 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

ARP head studs is also included in the "not an upgrade at all section".
Old 07-17-2018, 07:37 AM

Just a quick update, engine is stripped and measured. Looks like my paranoia paid off and zero damage to the crank or rods, just the very start of some bearing wear (10 minutes of sub-3k rpm running following the start of the noise). Diagnosis appears to be it took a disliking to the oil grade that was in it, which is strange but I'll investigate as it was slightly more smokey than normal beforehand.

So it's just starting to go back together with:
King bearings, standard size for rods, mains & thrust washers
OEM Rings
OEM Head Gasket & Lower Gasket Kit
OEM Oil squirters & Bolts
OEM Main Studs
ARP Head Studs & Rod Bolts
OEM Timing Chain & Tensioner
OEM AP2 Retainers (Intake side)
Ferrea Valve Guides

In a way it's frustrating to sink this much time and money into something that will only put me back to where I was 2 months ago, but by the same token I'll now have complete faith in the engine and combined with the already brand new clutch, suspension & brakes over the last 7,000 miles I'm essentially in a mechanically new S2000 and ready to enjoy plenty of track days & road trips.

That's the downside/upside of the engine being so well put together from the factory, there aren't any easy gains to be had!
Old 07-17-2018, 09:14 AM

Received 348 Likes on 324 Posts

What is standard size Kings bearings am interested ?

Quick Reply: "While you're down there" - Engine rebuild 'extras'