UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Why bother with a hard top ?

Old 05-22-2002, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why bother with a hard top ?

At risk of generating personal insults, other than security and wanting to see out of the rear screen when icy, why bother paying in excess of four figures to add a hard top to your S2000 ?

- Some of the best top down days in the UK are during the winter
- The soft top on the S is pretty substantial anyway
- The money could be spent on modifications and/or a replacement soft top in years to come
- The hard top adds to the clutter in your garage/shed when not in use (assuming you have somewhere to store it in the first place)
Old 05-22-2002, 06:29 AM

Because you cant buy an S2000 coupe?
Old 05-22-2002, 06:47 AM

I know when I bought the hard top with mine I didn't have a garage, so it was a comforting thought to know my car was sat outside through the dark winter evenings with protection from rain/ice/snow and the little b**stards that are tempted to stick something sharp through your soft top.

The hard top takes me (and a willing volunteer) 2 minutes to take off, so when we got a sunny day in winter I just used to whip it off and store it on a bracket in the hallway under the stairs.

The car looks best with the roof down - no arguement there! But I have to say I prefer the look of it with the hard top on than the soft top up. I think it's one of the only 'soft tops' that I would say that about. The MGF's & Z3's looking minging with their hard tops!

On balance, yes it was a lot of money - but I'm glad I've got it!
Old 05-22-2002, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And you get 2 cars for only
Old 05-22-2002, 07:00 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

I was out with Carol the other day, a typical spring day, sunshine and showers. She hit the nail on the head: if you had the hardtop you would not be able to enjoy the roof down half as much. After nigh on 3 years use for the daily drive I am still quite often dropping the top mid trip.

Now they've fixed the rear window Honda are not exactly giving the hard-top away, but they are discounting its value and/or using it as a selling tool against imports. I think they agree with me

This IMHO and others will have their own views. Thank God we are all different

Cheers,
Rog
Old 05-22-2002, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by Alun
At risk of generating personal insults, other than security and wanting to see out of the rear screen when icy, why bother paying in excess of four figures to add a hard top to your S2000 ?

- Some of the best top down days in the UK are during the winter
- The soft top on the S is pretty substantial anyway
- The money could be spent on modifications and/or a replacement soft top in years to come
- The hard top adds to the clutter in your garage/shed when not in use (assuming you have somewhere to store it in the first place)

Hear Hear - waste of money in my opinion - like the winter days too - great light - fresh and breezy - hard tops are for pooftas IMHO
Old 05-22-2002, 07:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shabby
[B]Hear Hear - waste of money in my opinion - like the winter days too - great light - fresh and breezy - hard tops are
Old 05-22-2002, 08:08 AM

Mee too, hard top = Poofter! (probably)
Old 05-22-2002, 09:17 AM
tnt

hard top = Poofter!
Not too sure about calling those who have hard tops pooftas - depends on whether they are bigger than you or can run faster than you which in my case is probably the majority of the world.

So I think that if they want a hard top then it's fine by me

Personally, I can't see myself buying a hardtop - it it's dry and doesn't look like it's going to rain in the next 5 miles then it's top-down time
Old 05-22-2002, 09:28 AM

Its only a personal view, but if you gave me a hard top after falling over the dam thing in the garage for 3 months, it would end up in my trade waste bin

Quick Reply: Why bother with a hard top ?