UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Why won't my car start?

Old 12-02-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why won't my car start?

Hi guys, currently looking for a bit of advice.

I've got a stock 2006 S2000 on 60k miles which seems to lose it's ability to start if not driven for more than say 5 days. The ignition just ticks rapidly when trying to start. The car can be jump started and all other electrical bits are working. The car runs perfectly once started.

The car will still be a bit tough to start even with regular use but I've had 2 mechanics tell me the battery is perfectly fine.

Today I tried it again and opened the bonnet to discover a high frequency constant noise coming from around the battery area. This stopped once I removed the key from the ignition. Does it sound like I need a new starter motor? Could I have a dodgy battery connection? I'm not the most clued up guy when it comes to mechanics so apologies if this is a stupid question.

Thank you for any help.

Nads
Old 12-02-2018, 08:22 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

put it on a trickle charger and i bet it wont. these cars drain the battery fairly quickly, not sure why tbh.

a ticking starter is a sign of flat battery, measure the voltage after a run and then after 5 days stood
Old 12-02-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds like perfect Battery symptoms to me, the clicking is the starter solenoid trying to engage, but as soon as the starter takes the load it release's again because there isn't enough voltage in the batt, the buzzing you hear is more than likely a relay doing the same
Old 12-02-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Get a battery conditioner and get the battery up to full charge - might be worth testing it too - how old is the battery?
I don't remember any noises when the starter was going, it just stopped working!
Have you got power to the garage? If not the solar ones are ok for small top ups, but you just need to drive it more!
Old 12-02-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I've had problems like this before ( not on the Honda), and they been related to the cleanliness of the contacts - one of these sorted it
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-02-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Classic knackered battery, or as also suggested dirty (high resistance) contacts.

Even though the alarm etc puts a slow drain on the battery I would still expect the car to start after 10 days or so without running. Mine does, no problem.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Tis' the season of battery denial, start it up and run for 20 mins every couple of days, if it struggles it's the battery on it's way out, failing battery + colder weather = trip to get new one.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, getting the battery changed this weekend. Fingers crossed that's all it needs!
Old 12-13-2018, 12:05 AM

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts

This winter I'm not using my S2000 much, it sits in the garage. I had not driven it for about 2 weeks, and the battery was too weak. So I charged it with a standard battery charger, and took it for a 20 minute drive. And bought a battery conditioner. However this got me thinking. Some years ago (well 32 years ago) I put away my Audi in a barn from August to April, and I disconnected the battery. Then I connected the battery without charging it, and everything worked fine. How about a car battery disconnector such as this
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-13-2018, 12:20 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by tjockhult
This winter I'm not using my S2000 much, it sits in the garage. I had not driven it for about 2 weeks, and the battery was too weak. So I charged it with a standard battery charger, and took it for a 20 minute drive. And bought a battery conditioner. However this got me thinking. Some years ago (well 32 years ago) I put away my Audi in a barn from August to April, and I disconnected the battery. Then I connected the battery without charging it, and everything worked fine. How about a car battery disconnector such as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/BGS-1415-Ba...ery+disconnect
As my garage has no power, I've disconnected the battery on my car over the last two winters (Nov to March) with no adverse effects. Note that this is not advised on anything up to an 03 car as the alarm system doesn't like being disconnected for that long.

Quick Reply: Why won't my car start?