UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Windscreen replacement

Old 06-05-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autoglass were due to change mine recently but thankfully they managed to repair the chip in the original, fitter admitted at the end of the repair that the replacing the screens on these cars was a pig of a job but something you can get right with the right amount of time and effort.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems to be down to chance whether you get a good fitter?!
Old 06-05-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Aviva's approved fitter is Autoglass, I have a crack that I'm dreading getting sorted - be sure to report back!
Old 06-06-2017, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
Aviva's approved fitter is Autoglass, I have a crack that I'm dreading getting sorted - be sure to report back!
Hi Ben,

A bit of advice, when the fitter comes with the new screen, ask him to first remove your mirror and compare the profile of the fixing boss to the one on his replacement.
The Autoglass one is a different angle, thinner in profile and has a different fixing flange.

In my experience, the mirror will vibrate, and the angle is wrong for daytime driving.

If you have any problems I have a few names at AG for you to contact, as you will find it difficult to get through to anybody with half an engineering brain at Autoglass.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:35 AM

I will, I wonder why they don't acknowledge the problem beforehand?!
Old 06-06-2017, 02:24 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

@lifecrisis - the screen has been replaced at some point in the past (previous owner) so I have the issue with trying to explain that I don't want to look at the sky in my rear-view the whole time ( or have it constantly on "dipped" beam ) and that there shouldn't be visible corners on the rubber seal - still I don't suppose they could make it worse
Old 06-06-2017, 02:35 AM

Great....I'm looking forward to getting mine back!!

Anyone know how you can save the heartache?!?
Old 06-06-2017, 02:54 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by lifecrisis
Hi Ben,

A bit of advice, when the fitter comes with the new screen, ask him to first remove your mirror and compare the profile of the fixing boss to the one on his replacement.
The Autoglass one is a different angle, thinner in profile and has a different fixing flange.

In my experience, the mirror will vibrate, and the angle is wrong for daytime driving.

If you have any problems I have a few names at AG for you to contact, as you will find it difficult to get through to anybody with half an engineering brain at Autoglass.
I had all my windscreens fitted by Autoglass. The penultimate one had problems with the boss, but they sorted it out eventually.

Last time, knowing about possible problems, I made sure they got it fitted correctly. The junior fitter couldn't work it out, so called a more experienced chap who came and sorted it out. They couldn not have been more helpful.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:34 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Complaining now, they want to fit an OEm rubber to the shit screen thinking it will fix the giant gaps in the corners...
Seriously getting pissed off now, i just want a like for like replacement (i.e. OEM for OEM) I pay shit tonnes of insurance and i never miss a payment so they least they can do is replace like for like.

AAAARGGGHHH
Old 06-06-2017, 03:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by johnckeen
Complaining now, they want to fit an OEm rubber to the shit screen thinking it will fix the giant gaps in the corners...
Seriously getting pissed off now, i just want a like for like replacement (i.e. OEM for OEM) I pay shit tonnes of insurance and i never miss a payment so they least they can do is replace like for like.

AAAARGGGHHH
Not ideal as its your time they are wasting, but let them pay for the OEM seal, fit it and realize it doesn't solve the issue. Then they have to get an OEM screen and ANOTHER OEM Seal. Cost them more in the long run, but wastes your time.

Quick Reply: Windscreen replacement