UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Windscreen replacement

Old 06-30-2017, 01:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to have a pattern screen fitted first, but didn't have a problem having it refitted with genuine because the pattern screen fits so badly!!

You'll get there in the end
Old 06-30-2017, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Define198
is it standard practice to get a new windscreen rubber trim when the screen is replaced? they seem to be £250 on their own! or are the guys that have got one, the ones that have had problems?
Ask for the trim when you put in the claim...
Old 06-30-2017, 02:31 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

You have to replace the trim as they cut it out before pulling the glass out, no way of preserving the rubber.
Still arguing with national windscreens, they seem to think they can take it to any random paint shop... It's their cock up so its going to my bodyshop, they have no leg to stand on I am afraid... this should be fun!

Don't ****ing need this right now, I wish people who own companies who dont care would just piss off if I'm honest :@
Old 07-02-2017, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had a very nice chap from Autoglass fit a Fuyau screen and am very relieved to say I can't be more pleased at the outcome.

He first checked the mirror fitting which was perfectly fitted. He did say there is a spring that if lost would mean the mirror wouldn't fit correctly, so was careful to only undo the retaining screw just enough to remove the mirror. He then fitted it to the new screen whilst still on his bench/rest frame, all ok.

He had a little trouble cutting through the old seal (with a neat piece of cord kit and wire) but took his time and carefully persevered, no damage done.
Whilst preparing the new screen he remarked that if some screens are fitted to low its probably down to the fitter not using a new stick on tape, looks like black drought excluder, which he used then took time to lay the screen down concentrating on getting it pushed to the upper edge of the surround.
A little gentle fettling was needed to get rubber to lay flat against the surround, there are a couple of minute ripples which I'm sure will flatten down in time but all looks so much better than some of the pictures I seen on here.

As has already been said, "It's all down to the fitter you get on the day" and I'm mighty glad to have had a good one.

Thank you Joe

Last edited by Drogo; 07-03-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*thread hijack*
An update on mine. Turns out they sacked the guy that did my screen and 'reviews' due to too many complaints!

I've since had a new guy come around (35 yrs XP apparently) and he's fitted an OEM trim, and a different screen (not OEM) but with a better boss. However, the corners are slightly curled at the top, although he assured me that it should level out in a few weeks and it was because the trim was 'rolled up'.

Overall, happier with the fitment but it's far from perfect (I'll try and get some pictures and details of the screen later)
Old 07-03-2017, 09:11 AM

I know some people are happy with the pattern screen, but mine was far from perfect....oem screen and trim fit perfectly and in my opinion that is what should be fitted
Old 07-03-2017, 12:34 PM

Not just me lol... my pattern screen is fine but the trim less so. Sits high on one side so I complained and they did it again with a genuine piece of trim and the fitter has made a hash up of the job.

Damaged my wing/bonnet (chipped/scratched them), broken scuttle clips, damaged the new trim and the windscreen trim still sits high on one side.

Waiting on autowindscreens to come back to me with where we go from here now. Supposedly the fitter told me all the trim is the same and it's a problem with the part so won't get it perfect but I've had this exact problem before which they resolved on my last S2000.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:38 AM

I spoke to a guy called Grahamfrom Autoglass....he just ordered oem screen and trim....no quibbles whatsoever. They must know the models that pattern parts don't fit .
Old 07-04-2017, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by AC50
I spoke to a guy called Grahamfrom Autoglass....he just ordered oem screen and trim....no quibbles whatsoever. They must know the models that pattern parts don't fit .
Did yours fit on both sides? I was told the genuine trim and pattern trim comes from the same place and they are all short on the passengers side. I refuse to believe this especially as I've had this remedied correctly in the past but am now arguing more about the quality of the work than the parts supplied.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:01 AM

The oem screen and trim fit together perfectly....I would imagine trying to mix and match will cause issues...
I found the curvature of the pattern screen didn't match the scuttle. A quarter inch gap in the middle

Quick Reply: Windscreen replacement