UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Windscreen Washers not working

Old 04-21-2015, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen Washers not working

Hi,

Over the last couple of days only the drivers side windscreen washer has been working and its gradually become less and less powerful and now does noting but a couple of little bubbles of water when used.

The windscreen fluid is topped up and has been for the last few weeks.

You can hear the motor trying to pump the water but nothing happens.

I have noticed a small hole in the top of the blue cap recently which I thought might be a problem, but I have taped this up and its still not working so looks like that was just coincidental.

Does anyone have any idea where to start with this?

thanks
Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you followed the lines, made sure they are not caught on anything, "pinching" them shut.

Also worth trying to clean them out. First thing I would suggest is remove the rubber hose from underside of the washer jet and blow down it. Hopefully its just a little something stuck that will be blown out. (Use an air line if you have one). Making sure the filler cap is removed to allow the air an escape path.

Also use a needle or something to make sure the nozzles are clean.

Good Luck!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There are also one way valves just by each jet which can clog up/dry out. Do a search on the site, I changed mine recently when Honda couldn't work out the issue. Start by unplugging the main line (ie before the splitter) and seeing if water comes out at a decent pressure when the washers are applied (2 person job unless you want washer fluid allover your engine). Watch out for the one way valves if you use an airline, it can b*gger them up
Old 04-21-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The small hole in the cap is there to let the air into the tank so that it can replace the washer fluid as you use it. If the hole's sealed up the pump will struggle to pump as a vacuum will be created in the tank.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 AM

This is the small hole in the cap, I don't remember it being there and it looks like a piece has broken off, is this normal?

Windscreen Washers not working-rtm573al.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, I have unplugged the main line and water comes out of there ok, when I plugged it back in I also disconnected the two lines just before the one way valves and the bonnet and the water came out of there ok.

Could both of the valves died at the same time along with the headlight washers, or is it more likely to be a pressure problem?

Any more ideas?
Old 04-24-2015, 02:32 AM

Probably faulty one way valve in both nozzles. Happens frequently to me because I don't use the squirters much and they dry out.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:56 AM

I will have a look for some replacement nozzles.

But I don't think that explains why the headlight washers have stopped as well
Old 04-24-2015, 10:02 AM

Non return valve which connects to the elbow joint just before the jet itself,£2.75 or so of ebay,5mm fitting.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:47 AM

This is getting strange now

A few days ago nothing worked, then on some trips yesterday just the headlight washers work, and this morning only the passenger side bonnet washer worked.

Anymore ideas, before I order new non return valves?
Old 04-30-2015, 01:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe stating the obvious but the headlight washers only work when the headlights are on

Quick Reply: Windscreen Washers not working