Notices
UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Winstan's S2000

Old 01-27-2019, 06:46 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Talking Rear Subframe

When i separated the brackets from the differential one of the bolts didn't come out very well, even after drowning with WD40 and constantly retightening and loosening, i knew it was bad news.
Once out the bolt thread was damaged and the inside thread on the diff looked like it had crumbled apart this is down to what i understand is electrolytic corrosion between the aluminium and cast iron.

So i thought id give re-tapping the bracket a go. M12 X 1.25 is the thread here !

As you can see, lots of filings on exit. Rather than pull the tap back through the clean cut threads i only passed it through one way. Then pulled the tap trough and restarted.
carried out 3 passes and the threads were clean.

Put the die on the damaged bolt, debated just buying new bolt but one is around £8.
Die cleaned up the thread perfectly.
Re-installed bracket and achieved the torque setting on bolts with grease of 64NM.
Result Pennies saved !

Every bolt that is being reinstalled on the subframe is having a over healthy coat of marine grade grease.
Impressed with this grease, doesn't look or feel like other grease, almost synthetic..

Diff mounts back in all bolts heavily greased and torqued to 45 NM .

Grease on diff pins and nuts torqued to 64 NM.

Front Diff mounts had the same treatment all bolts torqued to 45 NM. Nuts torqued to 64NM.

I am very happy with the results of this, its nice to finally see some improvement after all the rust. Back to looking out the factory…. Almost..

Lower control arm power flex bushes install. Began with smearing supplied grease over the internal sides of the bush wall in the control arm.

Smeared grease all over the bush.

Pressed the bush in using a rapid clamp. I found this to be the easiest way to install all the powerflex bushes on the car.
Slow and controlled, enabling the bush to be kept square all the way in.

Installed the stainless steel insert using the same method, all greased up also!

Smart and clean zero damage, stainless insert equal distance on both sides the bush.

Exactly the same process on the upper arms.

Finished product, worth all the effort pressing out all the knackered seized bushes!

More to follow, any questions let me know !

Cheers

Will
Old 01-29-2019, 12:56 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Nice work mate, shame to put it all back on the car but should be very easy to clean too after all that. Will the bolts with the grease on the threads not cause them to loosen or anything? I know it will help stop any salted water ingress in future...
Old 01-29-2019, 03:57 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish TuneR View Post
Nice work mate, shame to put it all back on the car but should be very easy to clean too after all that. Will the bolts with the grease on the threads not cause them to loosen or anything? I know it will help stop any salted water ingress in future...
Very good question! I have no idea, but I will most probably re-torque everything in a few hundred miles, then at a thousand miles or so. Just to be certain everything is tight. Most of the nuts are nylock aswell. So hopefully it won't make much difference, other than stop seizing!