UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Winter Alloy Wheel Protection.

Old 12-02-2001, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter Alloy Wheel Protection.

Anyone got any ideas or tips?
Old 12-02-2001, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why do you need any?

the alloy is designed to withstand most conditions, mine have survived 2 winters unscathed. Wash them every day if it gives you peace of mind.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:16 AM

Cleaned mine today and I'm sure there definatley something different happening to the wheels. Im not sure if this is weather or track day related as since my last track day my wheels seem to have started to get very stubborn stains on them. I cleaned them a few weeks ago and I had to resort to using Autoglym Tar remover to get rid of some of the stains, that did the trick perfectly and they were back in A1 condition, however on cleaning again today I notcied that these very stubborn stains have come back.

During the summer I could clean the wheels easily, a bit of elbow grease for the stuborn brake dust but now these dont go away with elbow grease and I have to resort to the chemical approach.

I've also noticed that the wheel seem to have a pitted appearance not on the outer but the inner of the wheel which seems to help the brake dust settle.

Id appreciate any advice but I'm also wondering whether this is just a seasonal thing and its the cold thats causing it.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UKjasonm
[B]Cleaned mine today and I'm sure there definatley something different happening to the wheels. Im not sure if this is weather or track day related as since my last track day my wheels seem to have started to
Old 12-02-2001, 11:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cleaned my car today and exactly the same deal - very stubourn black fine streaks which look like they are coming from the inside surface of the wheel and 'bleeding' onto the inside edes of the spokes. What is going on? I would guess it is salt related but what is corroding / reacting to make the black tarry stuff?????
Old 12-02-2001, 12:32 PM

I picked up some brake dust barrier spray from Halfords a while back and since using it all I use is shampoo and a sponge to clean the wheels . In theory it should also protect against all the other winter problems.
Old 12-02-2001, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by ianl
I cleaned my car today and exactly the same deal - very stubourn black fine streaks which look like they are coming from the inside surface of the wheel and 'bleeding' onto the inside edes of the spokes. What is going on? I would guess it is salt related but what is corroding / reacting to make the black tarry stuff?????
As some of you know i think, i just got a warranty claim excepted on two new alloys - the front two - is that where people are noticing the most marking?? I had a kinda of corrosion effect which was leading to "bubbling" on the leading edge........honda weren't quite so keen to replace all four as this has rarely had to be done (they still pursue a very "holistic" policy on warranty claims - i.e. if they know its been claimed before they'll let it go no questions) - but if the rears continue to deteriorate, they'll be getting another visit!

I might get new front tyres while i'm at it and save on the tracking, balancing, etc........

Meanwhile, i guess you keep scrubbing!!

CT: does that mean i'll be getting second generation fronts??
Old 12-02-2001, 12:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Tonky, you folks probably don't get the "pitting" that our wheels get due to the salt they put on the roads here but I've heard that the brake dust that comes off all discs tend to cause minor damage as well. Years ago, once the wheels were washed and completely clean, I would polish them with the same stuff I polished the paint with. This made grime less likely to stick and what did stick came off easier. In N. Am. there are spray cans of cleaner that are designed for specific types of wheel material. Spray it on, rub the more stubborn bits and hose off & dry. Then "wax" them. I used to do this about once every couples of months. I don't now because I've gotten lazy in my crotchity old age.
Old 12-02-2001, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by stevenleith

CT: does that mean i'll be getting second generation fronts??
I thinks so. I'm sure they brought out a modified wheel finish early on. I hesitate to say this but you could ask your dealer!!

Old 12-02-2001, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

xviper: I'm afraid they are dumping tons of rock salt on the roads for the winter.

Cedric: I've noticed this as well. I cleaned the car quickly, this morning, and it certainly seemed harder to get them clean. I had a few very dark patches that took some work to get clean - still used a little sponge though. I'd done about 300 miles since cleaning, which is about normal for me, but they did seem a bit worse than usual. I'll see what they're next clean...

-Brian.

Quick Reply: Winter Alloy Wheel Protection.