UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Winter tyres fitted... euwww!

Old 12-12-2013, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use my van in snow. Drive with a look that shouts " I'm outta control " to other road users and they soon get out of the way.

I usually find its the 4x4 drivers that cause the problems by driving at 20mph in the snow, stop at the bottom of a hill to stick their balls on then chug up the hill leaving everyone else stuck.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:38 AM

I've driven around 120 miles today across the peak district and north of Manchester. It's been raining all day and in fairness, the tyres have been fine today. It's only when pushing a bit you can really tell the difference.

We're moving out towards the peak district and there's far less public transport out there, hence the winter tyres.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

I love winters but they are shit above 5C I think

As soon as it gets proper cold they're ace ime
Old 12-12-2013, 02:00 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

You could always try All Season, as opposed to Winter Tyres

A couple of interesting articles in the Telegraph on "All Season Tyres" opposed to "Winter Tyres"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...st-part-1.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...st-part-2.html
May be worth thinking about if you live in areas where snow is unlikely
Old 12-12-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cusimar9
I've driven around 120 miles today across the peak district and north of Manchester. It's been raining all day and in fairness, the tyres have been fine today. It's only when pushing a bit you can really tell the difference.

We're moving out towards the peak district and there's far less public transport out there, hence the winter tyres.
Did you really just fit them on the rear?
Old 12-15-2013, 02:03 PM

Yes. I've never been stuck in the snow because my non-driven wheels aren't biting

Obviously if there's snow I'll be leaving plenty of braking distance, I just don't want to get stuck!
Old 12-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can easily go skidding sideways into the kerb though when your front wheels fail to turn you in the direction that you want to go.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cusimar9
Yes. I've never been stuck in the snow because my non-driven wheels aren't biting

Obviously if there's snow I'll be leaving plenty of braking distance, I just don't want to get stuck!
Viz Top Tip:

Save money on summer tyres too by just letting the fronts wear out, who needs steering/braking anyway?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by earl's_f20c
Viz Top Tip:

Save money on summer tyres too by just letting the fronts wear out, who needs steering/braking anyway?

And in the warm/dry, you're going to have much more front grip than rear. On the bright side, once you've gone backwards into a hedge, winter tyres might actually help you get out again.

13 degrees C today.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:19 AM

It's possible to drive with caution with none winter tyres on all 4 corners. As the OP said getting going from a stand still is the tricky part, especially with wide tyres.

Winter tyres on all 4 corners is obviously by far the best setup but putting them on the rear is better than none at all so long as your driving is adapted to the imbalance.

And honestly I'd rather be in a RWD with the winter rubber on the rear than an FWD with them only on the front.

Just be super cautious braking, especially if one of your front wheels goes over a man hole cover as ABS tends to go mental in ice/snow and can do more harm than good.

Quick Reply: Winter tyres fitted... euwww!