UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Worn Roof MY06

Old 04-23-2007, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worn Roof MY06

A few weeks ago I noticed some wearing to the inside of my roof caused by a sharp edge rubbing on the fabric when the roof is lowered.

When I took the car to my local dealer they informed me this is just normal wear and I should not worry. When I told them I think this is a common problem they told me they had never had a problem with an S2000 roof and if it was a commom problem Honda Uk would have informed all dealers.

They did agreed to take some photo's and send them to Honda Uk.

The following day my dealer called me and said Honda had rejected the warrenty claim and if I wanted to take it further to call Honda Uk direct.

After five phone calls to Honda Uk and sending my own photo's Honda finally agreed there was a problem and the roof should be changed.

I feel my local Honda dealer (Stratstone Honda) was very unhelpful and could have helped more. Is this normal?

Marcus.

Here are some of my pictures sent to Honda UK.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 AM

You can clearly see where the damage has been caused. "Normal wear and tear"? Trying to fob you off.

Your dealer should have assisted you more, but not many dealers see more than a few S2000s a year.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:23 AM

I have the SAME wear marks as shown in the last photo on my 05 car.

I keep meaning to raise it with the dealer to see where we go.

Technically it's not worn through, therefore not broken, but I'd rather they replaced it before I end up with a hole there.

Do keep us informed on how you go with the replacement.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:29 AM

A few have had roofs replaced under warranty for wear in that place (me included).

My dealer tried to fob me off initially, but they agreed to send pics to HUK and hey presto new roof.

It's clearly therefore a recognised problem at HQ, but dealers are no doubt not encouraged to make claims and/or I don't think they recover the full cost of labour from HUK for warranty work so they may not be as keen as you might hope (replacement roofs must be a fiddly job).

I'm not sure if Davey on here has dealt with this particular issue before, and wondered what his experience of the problem is ??
Old 04-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Shopman posted a fix to this, when he noticed it, I think there is a link in the FAQ
Old 04-23-2007, 01:01 PM

Welldone in getting it sorted!

I had exactly the same issue on mine 2002 plate last year (1 year out of warranty too)

I initially got told general wear and tear and also car out of warranty nothing we can do etc etc.

With the help of the info and people on this forum I argued the case, sent in a letter with many pics and got the roof replaced last summer at no cost to me.

make sure you give it a good check over after the work is done. Mine is going back in a couple weeks time for another NEW roof due to the fact it tore when i lowered it recently - and i managed to prove it was due to being incorrectly fitted when it was replaced last summer.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Apr 23 2007, 07:47 PM
Shopman posted a fix to this, when he noticed it, I think there is a link in the FAQ
a strip of black duck tape where the wear occurs prevents the wear on the roof itself and is pretty unnoticable on the roof.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both still on the car about a year on, no probs and haven't fallen off with constant use.

If your car was my car I would do it before getting the problem that and greasing 'the bolts'.

What else would be in the top five preventatives?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any one actually addressed the root cause and sorted the frame?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:22 AM

I've just put through a warranty claim for my roof and the service manager told me he had never seen this problem before either

so my car is going in for its 18k service and I should be getting a new roof, the rear brakes are getting done on warranty, and I am waiting to hear about the premiture wear on the drivers seat.

At this rate honda is starting to look like renault.

Quick Reply: Worn Roof MY06