S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   The Worst Honda S2000 UK (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/worst-honda-s2000-uk-1136714/)

Sp4m 10-16-2015 06:54 AM

The Worst Honda S2000 UK

10 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Please be a little gentle as I don't think I've seen an S2000 in a worse state than mine.

I bought the car a few years ago and loved it to bits, but had a bad accident and wasn't able to justify getting her back on the road due to daughter being on the way.

Unfortunately my circumstances have changed and I am now living alone again. I decided to get the damage repaired and remove the Vinyl wrap which was on the car when I bought it.

Did a shoddy job myself with a heat gun as I thought it would be a lot easier (They make it look incredibly easy on youtube) - it may have been on longer than it should.

I do however now have my car and have started to take steps to restoring her.

I'm not looking to get a full paint job as it would be too much for me financially, I have however been quoted for a plasti dip and this fits within my budget.

Basically I want to get the parts that are messed up (paintwork and one panel poking out due to someone doing a lovely poke in the rear job at a car park...) sorted out. There are also some bits with rust on them.

I THINK I need to sand down those areas, and remove the backlight to get remaining vinyl wrap off... and apply some primer to areas that I've sanded.

I don't really mind what she looks like under the plasti-dip. So a cheap spray on primer just to ensure the dip sticks would be OK With me, if that will work?

I know this isn't the most ideal way to do things and I'm sure many of you will disagree and suggest I just put her up until I can afford to do things properly... I can't really disagree with you but I have a plan and I would like to do it... just need some guidance/help from any of you out there that may have experiance with these things.

I have sent these pictures to a few bodywork places and I've had no response - almost a week... So I'm not sure if they don't want to take the job on... I might just go and visit a few but wanted to hear what the community has to say first.

RichwiththeS2000 10-16-2015 07:03 AM

Sounds like your plan will work to me.

You're going to need to sand all the crap off, including the rusty bits and then primer. Then sand the primer back down so it blends into whatever good paint you leave.

At that stage you can plastidip it or whatever, should be fine.

Sp4m 10-16-2015 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by RichwiththeS2000 (Post 23777341)
Sounds like your plan will work to me.

You're going to need to sand all the crap off, including the rusty bits and then primer. Then sand the primer back down so it blends into whatever good paint you leave.

At that stage you can plastidip it or whatever, should be fine.

Having never done this before, Would you reccomend I take panels off to sand them down properly?

is there a HowTo guide on panel removal?

and for the sanding element, will something like the below be what I need? along with the appropriate grade papers?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanding-Bloc...ds=sanding+kit

U9aXy6Dn 10-16-2015 07:15 AM

I can see what you're trying to achieve, I applaud that. Everyone's had cosmetic damage on their car at some point.

I would rub down what you can visually identify until it's bare metal with simple pitting.
Next up apply Bilt Hamber de-ox Gel and let it dwell, preferably for a good number of hours protected from rain.
The following day, remove this using the method prescribed on the container
Spray over the exposed metal with Bilt Hamber Zinc-rich primer.
Then you have removed the rust, used a chemical to extract it from beneath the surface and given it time to work and protected that surface from future rust.
Apply wrap/plasti-dip.

Website for BH here > http://www.bilthamber.com/

Carbon S2K 10-17-2015 05:54 AM

Just a thought? It may be cheaper/ better to replace some of the panels with some from a breakers?..... I have a set of bare doors for a start. I can see your door has seen better days so you can have
One or both if needed for free.

Oh my bad I now see your not painting the car lol

WinFreak 10-17-2015 06:30 AM

I wouldn't bother with plastidip on a whole car, it really isn't nice to see from up close and it feels horrible too.

Plus it won't last.

I've done my wheels with it and that was fine but I really wouldn't do the whole car.

Sp4m 05-17-2016 04:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by WinFreak (Post 23778216)
I wouldn't bother with plastidip on a whole car, it really isn't nice to see from up close and it feels horrible too.

Plus it won't last.

I've done my wheels with it and that was fine but I really wouldn't do the whole car.

Totally right, but needed a cheap solution as otherwise it would have looked crap.

Going to get it re-sprayed properly when I have the £££

Currently she looks like this - note the difference in colour is down to the different parts being sprayed at different times :banghead: but better then when I started I guess. Will deffo respray properly when I get the funds together.
Attachment 170580
Attachment 170581

Nottm_S2 05-17-2016 10:26 AM

I would burn you at the stake for this

Bad man :D