UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

yellow speed coilovers anyone tried them?

Old 07-14-2015, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tegiwa Imports
The field uses Premium Competition, however Luke all season in the CRX used Dynamic Pro Sport as he wanted to give the entry level range a real test, they performed excellently.

They've had very little coverage in the UK and Europe up until just 12 months ago when we took over distribution. We loved that Yellow Speed aside from being a great product were so heavily involved in motorsport themselves in Asia. They know Honda chassis' particularly well having raced their own EK's, EP's and DC5's for many seasons.

They're made in Taiwan.
Any extensive testing throughout UK winters with the salt on our roads? The majority of sub £1000 non EU brands tend to disintegrate after a couple of winters in this country.

Ride and handling is all well and good but coilovers need to be built to last more than a couple of years considering the cost (to fit).

I had a set of TEIN coilovers and they were ruined after 2 years on my DC5. The next set of D2's that went on didn't even last 6 months. I then put on OEM dampers with Eibach springs and they lasted the next couple of years till I wrote the car off. The ride quality and handling was was actually better than the previous two setups.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them, I love them. No problems at all, a very good coilover.

You can read my review here:

Originally Posted by classicvin
Hello Tegiwa/s2ki,

I myself purchased what i believe was the first set of Yellow Speed racing DYNAMIC PRO SPORT coilover kit from your company, and i cannot apologise enough for not posting an opinion/review of them any sooner. Simply no excuse other than laziness (and of course too busy enjoying them )

I hope its okay for me to post this on this thread, but i thought i would just show the people of s2ki some pictures of them, fitting them to my vehicle, comparrisons between stock and with them fitted ect. Also i would like to say a few words about them (all positive, they are a fantastic kit) . And if anyone has any questions / querys about the kit that is putting them off buying them, i'm sure i could help.

So i will start with introducing myself, I'm Vince, i'm a technician for Audi, i would say i'm compotent enough around the spanners and previously have fitted other brands of coilovers to some of my cars from the past. My last car, Lexus Gs300 i had fitted a set of HSD Monopro's, previously before that a mk1 mazda mx5 with Meister r's, Both of which the coilover setups i was very happy with and its to which i will be making my comparisons to. (i know different spring rates + vehicles isn't the best of place to compare, but its what i have!)

Skip to the bottom if you just wish to hear my impressions of the kit.

I'm sorry for my poor phone pics, its all i have and i'm no professional photographer!

As it comes :

Whats in the box :

So in your coilover kit you will recieve:
2x front coilovers (10k-kg) 2x rear coilovers (7k-kg),
1x plastic packet with contents of 2x C spanners for adjustment / locking of collars,
2x front brake hose adapter mounts with rubber sleeves, these will be bolted to the front suspension bolt to allow the brake flexi to still be secure as the old mount is not retained with the new coilovers.
4x adjustment tools which just slot into the top of each coilovers and are turned to increase / decrease the damping of the shock absorber 33 different positions from soft-hard. Also contained within the plastic packet is some vague fitting instructions and a few yellow speed racing stickers.

My coilover's spring perchs came already setup from the factory to the correct position so that the spring was pre-loaded as to specification, and so the spring would not be loose and rattle over rises / jacking up.
So all that needs to be done to coilovers out of the box is to apply some anti-corrosive grease (i use motorcycle chain lube) and set the length of the coilovers (used to change the ride height of the vehicle)

As i wanted to demo how low these will go, i setup my coilovers to the lowest setting (shortest i could make them) on all 4 of the coilovers and all the pictures i will post of them / my car, will be the coilovers on the lowest setting.

Front comparison to stock:

This was the coilover wound all the way in to the lowest setting, top mounts are both in the same position to hopefully give an idea of difference in length, when compared to stock.
fitted:

Rear comparison to stock:

This again was the coilover wound all the way in to the lowest setting, top mounts are both in the same position to hopefully give an idea of difference in length, when compared to stock.
fitted:

This was my car on standard 16" rims with standard suspension:

This was my car shortly after fitting the coilover kit:

Sorry for the poor pictures / angles, it may actually be quite difficult to judge the difference on these picture, but i can assure you its much much lower (admittedly i should of measured trim height before / after, but i didnt!). My car after was very much stuck on my ramp on the sills

Some pictures of my car with ap2 17" oem wheels, coilovers on the lowest setting still all round

The coilovers have very much settled in now, lowering the car slightly more than the photos. Obviously after fitting i carried out a 4 wheel allignement, all the values came within specifications fine even at the low ride height.
The rear arches lip's were rolled as a precaution when i fitted the 17's but in theory, i could of got away without doing them and still not having any scrubbing issues on the lowest setting.

Impressions after living with the YELLOW SPEED RACING DYNAMIC PRO SPORT COILOVERS for a few months:

So i've had the coilovers fitted on my s2000 now for a good couple of months which has gave me enough time i feel to judge how they perform and what they are like to live with. My impressions of them are very good, I am more than happy with them, and very much compare to the same ride quality's as my previous HSD's/Meisters, i would say in some instances they seem more forgiving and less harsher than the HSD'/meisters, maybe this could be due to a better damper design/ lower rear spring rate, i dont particularly know.

I daily my car to work everyday about 100 miles a week, the coilovers are perfectly comfortable and forgiving on the softest setting (adjusters turned anti-clockwise until they don't click anymore), i'm not "wincing" when driving over rough tarmac with irregularities in the surface, and on the softest setting they are still not "bouncy" to which i would describe cheaper coilovers to be (ta-technix and the likes!). They just do a superb job of handling the road. The softest setting i would say is close to oem suspension feel, all be it with a little more feel, this could be partially due to the pillow ball top mounts.

On the hardest setting (adjusters turned clockwise 33 clicks until they dont click/ turn anymore) the car seems to really come alive and the steering wheel feels very more precise, the car just turns in very sharply and little to no body roll around corners. Even on the hardest setting the car is still very enjoyable on the road and doesn't feel like it would snap my back when driving over a pot hole! Although the road feedback / noise does increase. I'm very much looking forward to using the car on track in this setting, the feeling of "plantedness" (if there is such word+feeling!) is really transmitted when the coilovers are in the hardest setting.

I just hope to have other people hear my impressions as a user of yellow speed racing products and not let the lesser established name sway your decision when looking for a reasonable priced coilover setup, be it for your s2000 or any other car (I recently was made of a acquaintance that has fitted a set to his suzuki swift and is very pleased with them also!) The product still has all the same merits as other brands around the same of price point.
As i feel in time they will be well established brand within the Uk/Europe and it will be another option when looking for aftermarket suspension setups + Big brake kits.
I'm in no ways connected to yellow speed racing / tegiwa, so i would like to think my opinion is unbiased and fair, even with the past experience of using other brands of suspensions (hsd / meister R's)

If any one has any questions about the kit, please shoot away, i'm more than happy to help.

Many thanks to Tegiwa for supplying the Coilover kit, and the rapid delivery of the kit after my purchase!
The following users liked this post:
Paul464 (08-11-2020)
Old 07-15-2015, 01:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A promising read, thanks for sharing
Old 07-15-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Well, they're getting good reviews from some - but I'm gonna jump to the other side - I took a kit apart a mate of mine bought at Autosport this year, and the internals weren't impressive both design and quality wise, so I hope they've changed since then, the piston finish was shite, the wear bands aren't energised, there were burrs on the valve shims and the semi-synth oil was nothing special either - rather thick to compensate for the internal tolerances at a guess.
He was happy with them on the car at the time - maybe they've just got the right valving out of the box - but in pure quality terms they were not really any better than KYB/GAZ/Koni, etc, same straight cut* needles for the adjusters with hysteresis issues and no temperature compensation, double whammy with the cheap oil there tbh.
I will say over the Koni/Gaz, etc, offerings the plating and finish on both the shafts and the bodys is pretty damned good though.

*So they adjust different amounts at different points in the range
Old 07-15-2015, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by BuggyofMildDiscomfort
Well, they're getting good reviews from some - but I'm gonna jump to the other side - I took a kit apart a mate of mine bought at Autosport this year, and the internals weren't impressive both design and quality wise, so I hope they've changed since then, the piston finish was shite, the wear bands aren't energised, there were burrs on the valve shims and the semi-synth oil was nothing special either - rather thick to compensate for the internal tolerances at a guess.
He was happy with them on the car at the time - maybe they've just got the right valving out of the box - but in pure quality terms they were not really any better than KYB/GAZ/Koni, etc, same straight cut* needles for the adjusters with hysteresis issues and no temperature compensation, double whammy with the cheap oil there tbh.
I will say over the Koni/Gaz, etc, offerings the plating and finish on both the shafts and the bodys is pretty damned good though.

As I suspected then. Cheap coilovers are often cheap for a reason.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BuggyofMildDiscomfort

Bought at Autosport? We didn't sell any at Autosport.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:18 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Someone was there with them at Autosport because I had a quick look at them myself on the way down to talk to Penske.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:11 AM
Former Sponsor

We were there as Yellow Speed Europe, however we didn't have any internals on display, maybe you are confusing us with Meister R? They had a stand near the classic cars, they also had Enkei on their stand.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:47 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Tegiwa Imports
We were there as Yellow Speed Europe, however we didn't have any internals on display, maybe you are confusing us with Meister R? They had a stand near the classic cars, they also had Enkei on their stand.
Buggy took a friend's kit apart. Where the kit was bought is irrelevant. Whether the internals were on display or not at Autosport doesn't matter either.

Perhaps the kit was a set of Meister-R but I'm sure buggy could tell us if the kit he took apart had yellow parts, or red parts. That would help identify what he was looking at.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by Tegiwa Imports' timestamp='1437052275' post='23682516
Buggy took a friend's kit apart. Where the kit was bought is irrelevant. Whether the internals were on display or not at Autosport doesn't matter either.

Perhaps the kit was a set of Meister-R but I'm sure buggy could tell us if the kit he took apart had yellow parts, or red parts. That would help identify what he was looking at.
Just seems a little strange what he's written...

Quick Reply: yellow speed coilovers anyone tried them?