UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

You've probably heard this a million times but.....

Old 08-16-2001, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your intelligent and reasoned replies. the thing that strikes me is that every single one was about why you like your cars and not putting down the other cars in the list.
It may seem odd but the S3 owners spent more time telling me how bad the S2000 was than they did telling me why they liked their car. As I drive an A3 at the moment and know it's shortcomings (steering as communicative as a 3-year old in a sulk being the most obvious), I have a feeling that the S3 shares the same traits.
The fact that the S3 drivers were looking for ways to devalue your car, yet you were secure in the knowledge you'd all made the right choice speaks volumes. You have answered my badly phrased question far more comprehensively than I could have imagined. I'll be lurking from now on and I'll be reporting back after my test drive. Thanks
Old 08-17-2001, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you get a decent drive - the first test drive I had was in a 2nd hand one and the dealer cut it short before I got used to the car. I then took one in a 20k demo car and the sales guy gave it a good spanking before I had my turn - he got the order for a new one. He claimed he had a 50% success rate on sale after test drive. I asked why the other 50% did not sign - and it was just the gearshift issue, they wanted something like tiptronic, 95% of the Japan market is auto so the close ratio 6speed is maybe a bit too demanding - that figured because my test drive was delayed 6 days as somebody had managed to stuff the gearbox on the previous test drive - that must have been eyewatering.

Anyway - I would keep to 5-6k rpm until you get used to it and then rip it - there's nothing like the run to 9k. My doctor recommends VTEC-ing twice a day for stress relief, I try to keep to his prescription.

and if you are really interested in knowing more on the car - get the Honda S2000 book - its under fifteen quid - then you get a bigger insight into what Honda was doing in developing the car.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:46 AM

I'm very lucky, because leaseplan are such a large leasing company and oracle (the company I work for) are good Leaseplan customers, the woman at the dealers is going to arrange for me to have the car for the weekend (so she says, lets hope she was telling the truth!).
I may well get the book, I was impressed with the brochure too actually - plenty of technical information rather than the usual guff most manufacturers supply.
Old 08-17-2001, 09:28 AM

Mark,
I live just a little north of Andover. If you are nopt too far away you can have a drive of mine if you like. Sadly not for the weekend!

This is my second S2000 and it is in the only colour that I wanted from the 1st day, beautiful Blue.

I have now past my 'breakin' period and am happily Vtecing away ( I was anyway if I am honest).

Let me know if you are interested. It would be nice to see your reaction as you hit 9,300 on the rev gauge.

Sam.
Old 08-19-2001, 02:01 AM

Not much of a contest - at first sight. I mean, neither the Elise (used to part-own a 7) or the S3 are in the same league. The S2000 is unique. A sportscar which is practical, reliable and docile enough for everyday around twon use but then when circumstances allow - absolutely OUTRAGEOUS in terms of performance and fun. I'm on my second and I love it, but then I live somewhere where you don't really have to consider the weather. Originally a Pom, (20 yrs ago) and still a regular visitor, I'm always mindful of the fact that the weather is a determining factor in everything in the UK. I guess we're spoilt here. It rains plenty but it's never really cold and the summers, well .... Slightly larger land mass than the UK, 3.5m people (one third of which are in Auckland) and heaps of wide open and excellent country roads. We still have speed cameras and lots of cops though. Notwithstanding the latter, I think that apart from the Northern Territories of Oz (no speed limits and TOO hot), this must be the greatest place to own an S2000.

Cheers
Steve
Montecarloe Blue, May 2000
Old 08-19-2001, 05:13 AM

and yes...............it does take a bike rack (which was important for me), can even carry two bikes.

I wanted a 2 seater convertible, tried most and the S2000 was THE answer. Good looks, a fantastic drive, best gearchange, a real uplift every time I use it - now over 12 months.

Grumbles, a few, but mostly cosmetic - floor mats, aeroscreen, harsh over potholes and rippley tarmac, interior storage - but nothing to spoil the overall, every day, so very enjoyable driving experience. If the test drive does not bring a huge grin to your face you will be unique !!!

Let us know the outcome - and dare I say it - welcome to the clan!
Old 08-20-2001, 06:29 AM

Simon, not sure where Andover is in relation to me (Marlborough area) but I don't think you're too far away, if the weekender doesn't happen in the next couple of weeks then I'll let you know and come down and find you - thanks for the offer.

Steve_NZ, I was in NZ last year for a few weeks, I remember wishing for a decent car as I drove north from Aukland to Keri Keri in our rented Toyota Starlet with it's dodgy shocker, there are some great sweeping roads with so much less traffic.
Old 08-20-2001, 11:43 AM

Mark, The great thing about NZ is that once you get off the state highways (cops + cameras, etc) there's a wonderful network of B and C grade roads, just MADE for the S. To be honest I think the outright speeds that the S can pull are really pretty scary (I'm no Schumacher), but being able to blat along at 6000-9000rpm in 2nd-3rd and occasionally 4th gear on tight, windy, well sealed roads, whilst simultaenously relishing the handling and the brakes (as well as the noise!) is just great. Going up north is pretty good: the South Island is paradise ...
Cheers, Steve