UK & Ireland For Sale and Wanted Items for sale and wanted in the UK & Ireland
Mark this thread as Unsold

Sony Headunit Adaptor for Volume Controls

Old 06-15-2004, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

We have a couple of people in the UK who would like to install a Sony Headunit (for MiniDisc purposes) into the S2k but still be able to use the volumn controls as per standard.

We have been in touch with a guy from Lucid who develops these. Here is his letter to one of the UK members (hornyhonda):

************************************************** *******************************
Nick -

You may not be aware that I am the actual designer and manufacturer of the DCI and have been making the units for Lucid Automotive. Lucid passed this email along to me for 2 reasons; first, he doesn't like to ship outside the US, and secondly, I am not going to be using Lucid Automotive as my retail outlet after June 1, 2004. I will be using a new retail store starting July 1, but in the meantime I can make some Sony DCI's for you and your fellow owners.

I do know the Sony DCI works on Euro head units, having done some testing with another UK S2000 owner a few months back. And I'm willing to ship multiple units in one package. However, since I'm a one-man business there is not much I can do in the way of discounting for multiple orders. The regular price of the Sony DCI is $92.50 plus $13 shipping. If you buy 5 or more I'll agree to sell them for $90 each with no shipping charges, assuming they get shipped to one address. That works out to a $15 savings compared to ordering them individually.

I would like to ship them via US Express Mail service since it's pretty fast (5 days max) and has tracking numbers. I don't have much experience with customs, I have previously been marking packages as gifts with a low ($5 - $10) value to minimize any customs taxes. I don't know if that's a problem for you or not. The issue I see here is that since the true value of 10 DCI's is about $900 I can't insure them for that amount and then put a low value on the customs form. What do you think?

Let me know what you guys decide but don't take too long. Since my new retailer opens for business July 1 I need to make this transaction before then. Once July 1 hits, I will be contractually prevented from selling direct to customers and all sales will have to go through the new retail outlet, and there is no provision for discounting or combined shipments.

Bob
************************************************** ********************************

Original Thread in the UK Forum

As stated we need 5 people's buy-in on this.
Currently we have 4:
hornyhonda
maksing
pickers
USCdrifter

Is anyone else interested in this?

MaKS
Old 06-21-2004, 08:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I could be up for this, what would be the final price and will it work on any sony head unit?... allready have an oldish cd hu in the car but thinking of upgrading to a mp3 one.
And how hard to fit, is it a plug and play like the alpine one or is it more complicated
Old 09-02-2004, 12:49 AM

I am looking for a DCI to control a Kenwood HU, so I would need a multiradio DCI the same as the one on Lucid's website. I am assuming it is the same guy that makes these as well, so is it possible to ship one of these??
Old 09-02-2004, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by andyds2k,Sep 2 2004, 09:49 AM
I am looking for a DCI to control a Kenwood HU, so I would need a multiradio DCI the same as the one on Lucid's website. I am assuming it is the same guy that makes these as well, so is it possible to ship one of these??
I want one for a Kenwood as well. GB?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:24 AM

As I am an Electronic Engineer and too many years experience, an alternative that I have been considering is designing my own. A simple task, but I have one stumbling block. I have no idea or have been unable to locate the infra-red codes for a Kenwood HU.
Another way of determing the infra-red codes is to capture them from a Kenwood remote, but I don't have one and I don't know of anyone who has one. Oh! and Kenwood would not tell me either. My HU also has an OEM wired remote control input (ie for vehicle manufacturers steering controls) and Kenwood would not even give me the information for this.
The main reason for designing my own was to added extra controls for folder searching through MP3s etc.

Also, Kenwood (or should I say the company that designs their steering control interfaces) will make one for the S2K for about
Old 09-02-2004, 02:36 AM

[QUOTE=andyds2k,Sep 2 2004, 10:24 AM] As I am an Electronic Engineer and too many years experience, an alternative that I have been considering is designing my own. A simple task, but I have one stumbling block. I have no idea or have been unable to locate the infra-red codes for a Kenwood HU.
Another way of determing the infra-red codes is to capture them from a Kenwood remote, but I don't have one and I don't know of anyone who has one. Oh! and Kenwood would not tell me either. My HU also has an OEM wired remote control input (ie for vehicle manufacturers steering controls) and Kenwood would not even give me the information for this.
The main reason for designing my own was to added extra controls for folder searching through MP3s etc.

Also, Kenwood (or should I say the company that designs their steering control interfaces) will make one for the S2K for about
Old 09-03-2004, 02:38 AM

I have an old Kenwood HU so might be interested in that if you ar esuccessful...
Old 09-17-2004, 12:10 AM

Is anything happening here???
Old 10-25-2004, 01:22 AM

Hi All,

Since this thread hasn't moved much I thought I would give an update on my progress in designing an S dash control to Kenwood HU.
After many hours debugging the development tools the software is now complete and debugged. In a week or so I will have the hardware ready, will only take a few hours to build and a week to get the bits and finally to the first stage of testing.
If all goes well the project will be complete in about two weeks.
Estimated cost of converter is less than
Old 11-09-2004, 04:54 AM

Here is a link to my completed DCI for Kenwood HU

My DCI Install

Quick Reply: Sony Headunit Adaptor for Volume Controls