Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

IL resident buying car in WI

Old 05-27-2009, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IL resident buying car in WI

So there is a car in Wisconsin I am considering buying. I am an Illinois resident. How does this whole procedure work with getting the car home, transferring plates, titled in IL, etc.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:22 AM

Bill of sale is your friend. You'll have to take it to DMV to get the license and re-title in IL though.

Depending upon how far you will be in WI, the drive home could get interesting. Perhaps you can time your purchase to coincide with DMV hours (e.g. drive the car straight to a DMV facility and take care of the titling and all that right then and there/same day)?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 AM

Correct procedure for buying any car is to go to DMV with the VIN, maybe other info, but I think it is just VIN and get a TEMP plate for it. It is good for 3 days.

Then you can drive the car home legally. I have driven numerous cars home with no plates, but I have gotten a warning before, and then I drove a car with the incorrect plates on it and got a ticket for failure to register vehicle, which is a $75 non moving violation. So really no big deal, just $75 bucks down the drain haha.

But like Ty said, just get the title and take it to DMV in IL. No different than buying an IL car.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 AM

Oh and just an FYI for other states:

I am sure everyone is familiar with how in IL, if you have a lien on you car (if you have a loan) as in the bank owns it or someone else, they keep your title.

In some other states, this is not always the case. I bought a car in Missouri and I got the title from the owner. Then in small writing it said something like: Title is held by the Vehicle owner, no matter if their is a Lien on it or not.

Long story short I bought a car, and had the title in hand, but the previous owner was still making payments on the car. DO NOT ask me why the previous owner thought it was okay to sell a car he was still making payments on.

So make sure you have everything you need, like the lien release, etc.

In IL and MN the Lien Holder holds the title. In WI and MO the owner holds the Title.

Other states no idea, I have never bought a car with a Lien on it from any other states besides those 4 yet.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:48 AM

My father suggested I just put my existing plates on the new car since I will be trading in. As long as I don't drive like an idiot, I'll be pretty safe on the way home. Once back in IL, I'd just go straight to the DMV.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 AM

MIDWESTA,

That is incorrect, in WI, the vehicle owner still holds the title, even with the lien on it.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:59 AM

If it is at a dealership, they can get you a temp WI plate. I have done that before at dealers as well.

But yes, you will be fine unless some cop gets behind you and runs your plate and he/she is smart enough to realize its the wrong car.

I drove my black s2000 with my white s2000 plates for 4 months and was pulled over numerous times. I only got the $75 non registration ticket when the plates were expired.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny--2K,May 27 2009, 11:58 AM
MIDWESTA,

That is incorrect, in WI, the vehicle owner still holds the title, even with the lien on it.
Ahh okay, sorry for the misinformation. I will update my post!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:00 AM

dparm, are you buying from a dealership in WI? If so, they will give you a temp plate that will be good for usually 30 days. Are you financing or paying cash?

I am a finance manager at a dealership in WI, so if you have questions, let me know.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Soooo....whatcha gettin?

Quick Reply: IL resident buying car in WI