Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

New to The S2000 But Old to The Hondas

Old 02-24-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to The S2000 But Old to The Hondas

Hello all,

I recently, about a month ago bought my dream car. Of course you can all guess what that is. A 2004 Berlina Black S2000. It has a long extensive list of what has all been done to it. which includes...
-K&N intake
-Buddy Club P1 rims
-Megan coil overs
-Invidia exhaust
-Upgraded rear differential
-Honda front lip
-Industry garage front over fenders
-ASM rear over fender
-and a Flat trunk extension

Being a 18 year old who just bought this car with basically every penny to his name. I want to do more. I finished my last project, of boosting my 97 hatch. And my palms are itching to work on this car.
The reason for this thread is to get ideas cheap but yet well done mods. Any idea is a good idea.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails New to The S2000 But Old to The Hondas-fullsizerender.jpg   New to The S2000 But Old to The Hondas-img_2142.jpg   New to The S2000 But Old to The Hondas-img_2154.jpg   New to The S2000 But Old to The Hondas-img_2162.jpg  
Old 02-26-2017, 05:21 AM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by That.yellow.s2k

Being a 18 year old who just bought this car with basically every penny to his name. I want to do more. I finished my last project, of boosting my 97 hatch. And my palms are itching to work on this car.
The reason for this thread is to get ideas cheap but yet well done mods. Any idea is a good idea.
Thanks.
I'd say enjoy the car as/is for now and start seeing the little things that bug you. Save up and rebuild the savings while doing all the basic maintenance to keep it an awesome running car.

For some small things today I'd say some clay bar and a good wax. Search for the soft top threads to make sure you have any burrs or catch points are taken care of to prevent any rips in the top.

My first change was ditch the stock radio for one with an iPhone input and a Modifry DCI for the button controls. Also sound got better.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Enjoy the car in stock form.. first.
Then tires and suspension next perhaps?
Eventually you'll know what route you're going to go with.
Congrats on the purchase man, drive safe.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Congrats on the purchase

Drive it for a bit before doing anything else to it.

BTW, looks like we have the same rear spoiler
Old 02-28-2017, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by TofuProductions
Enjoy the car in stock form.. first.
Then tires and suspension next perhaps?
Eventually you'll know what route you're going to go with.
Congrats on the purchase man, drive safe.
The suspension already has a megen 32 way adjustable coil set up with brand new 2 week old firestone firehawk indy 500's on then. Thanks for your input and looking forward to see you at the F&F 8 ride.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by JHo
I'd say enjoy the car as/is for now and start seeing the little things that bug you. Save up and rebuild the savings while doing all the basic maintenance to keep it an awesome running car.

For some small things today I'd say some clay bar and a good wax. Search for the soft top threads to make sure you have any burrs or catch points are taken care of to prevent any rips in the top.

My first change was ditch the stock radio for one with an iPhone input and a Modifry DCI for the button controls. Also sound got better.
Great news I wax it pretty much bi weakly and wash very often. I already threw that stock POS radio to the curb. I now have a Pioneer.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i just had same tires put on mine, how do you like them? they feel kind of 'deadened' to me, there's no road feedback what so ever. perhaps it just needs to break in, only put 100 miles on it so far.

what differences did the coil overs bring that you noticed?
Old 03-01-2017, 02:55 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Have fun with your cars! Lots of time to figure out handling.

Inexperienced folks treat "coil overs" as if there's some magic involved. For most of us it's just dress-up and tavern talk. "Of course I have coil-overs, Dude!" Barbie for Boys. The suspension in the stock car is a coil-over system, just not an adjustable system. Adjustments are the problem as there's no magic settings. Few of us have a clue how to set these -- some are great at it, but they're exceptional. Tuning your suspension for a specific race track makes sense but on a road car we need a more generalized system and that's on the car already if the alignment is right. We're not taking the same corner dozens of times a day as on a track. Taking your car to a different track requires changing the settings for fastest lap times. That ability is the strength of adjustable coil-overs.

Alignment makes a difference in road feel too.

The Firehawk is the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 in the rest of the world and well regarded. Firehawk tires, though, are third tier tires, two steps down on the performance scale. Doesn't mean they're bad tires but if shaving a second off your lap time (or daily commute) is important there are tires with better traction and (I'm guessing) road feel. Feel is subjective. Mine is limited as I've only driven my car on Extreme performance tires until last fall when I declined to replace my wonderful but, alas, discontinued Bridgestone RE-11A tires with their replacement RE-71R tires due to extreme road noise. Dropped down to Max and Bridgestone S-04 tires and don't feel any difference. But, of course, the RE-11A ties were nearly worn out.

-- Chuck
Old 03-01-2017, 06:34 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrats on the purchase.......
Old 03-01-2017, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by panda25
i just had same tires put on mine, how do you like them? they feel kind of 'deadened' to me, there's no road feedback what so ever. perhaps it just needs to break in, only put 100 miles on it so far.

what differences did the coil overs bring that you noticed?
the coils are very nice, but are a bit stiff as most coilovers are. the tires still have the factory marker lines and i have put a bit over 300 miles on them.

Quick Reply: New to The S2000 But Old to The Hondas