Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

New to The S2000 But Old to The Hondas

Old 03-01-2017, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Have fun with your cars! Lots of time to figure out handling.

Inexperienced folks treat "coil overs" as if there's some magic involved. For most of us it's just dress-up and tavern talk. "Of course I have coil-overs, Dude!" Barbie for Boys. The suspension in the stock car is a coil-over system, just not an adjustable system. Adjustments are the problem as there's no magic settings. Few of us have a clue how to set these -- some are great at it, but they're exceptional. Tuning your suspension for a specific race track makes sense but on a road car we need a more generalized system and that's on the car already if the alignment is right. We're not taking the same corner dozens of times a day as on a track. Taking your car to a different track requires changing the settings for fastest lap times. That ability is the strength of adjustable coil-overs.

Alignment makes a difference in road feel too.

The Firehawk is the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 in the rest of the world and well regarded. Firehawk tires, though, are third tier tires, two steps down on the performance scale. Doesn't mean they're bad tires but if shaving a second off your lap time (or daily commute) is important there are tires with better traction and (I'm guessing) road feel. Feel is subjective. Mine is limited as I've only driven my car on Extreme performance tires until last fall when I declined to replace my wonderful but, alas, discontinued Bridgestone RE-11A tires with their replacement RE-71R tires due to extreme road noise. Dropped down to Max and Bridgestone S-04 tires and don't feel any difference. But, of course, the RE-11A ties were nearly worn out.

-- Chuck
what would you do do for the camber issue on the rear end?
Old 03-01-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by That.yellow.s2k
The suspension already has a megen 32 way adjustable coil set up with brand new 2 week old firestone firehawk indy 500's on then. Thanks for your input and looking forward to see you at the F&F 8 ride.
If you're ever up in the 630 area.. definitely let me know, I'd love to see your car in person and we can do a photo op. I'll probably bring the drone as well.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When i got mine i took great satisfaction in replacing every fluid in the car. Not only do you know what product is in there, but also know how fresh it is.

While its kind of dorky, I keep a maintenance spreadsheet for all of my cars outlining date, mileage, and work completed. If you ever wonder how long something lasted or if it was replaced its all there for reference. On my DD (RSX-S) i even note when i switched from winter to summer rubber. Not only does it provide good insight to the car, but also a great document if you ever go to sell it.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:04 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by QuePasaKielbasa
When i got mine i took great satisfaction in replacing every fluid in the car. Not only do you know what product is in there, but also know how fresh it is.

While its kind of dorky, I keep a maintenance spreadsheet for all of my cars outlining date, mileage, and work completed. If you ever wonder how long something lasted or if it was replaced its all there for reference. On my DD (RSX-S) i even note when i switched from winter to summer rubber. Not only does it provide good insight to the car, but also a great document if you ever go to sell it.
+2.
You aren't the only one. I've kept everything logged in a notebook along with receipts and everything else ranging from fluid purchases, rotations, anything and quite literally everything that has to do with the car - all bundled up in a box and locked up. Honestly the only thing I haven't included in that box are my gas receipts.