Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Places to drive in Ann Arbor?

Old 05-09-2001, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I always read about guys driving fast on "backroads" and such, and was wondering if any of you ann arborites knew of places around town good for *ahem* stepping down a little harder. As far as I can tell the entire city is crowded with cops.

Any suggestions? thanks
Old 05-09-2001, 11:36 AM

There is no roads in Ann Arbor that is good. Unless you want to speed in Residential Neiborhood on Geddes. It is a nice twisty road but too dangerous. You might hit somebody. Or, there is a place I always go. Go east on Huron Drive to Jackson Road. Go North on Wegner and all the way to the end. Turn left. It is new paved road. I think it is about 3 miles long. On the first stop sign, turn left again (Zeib Road) and head back to Jackson.

Have fun.
Old 05-09-2001, 03:32 PM

Thanks Stealthy_S2K, I will certainly try that road out soon
Old 05-10-2001, 01:14 PM

I drive out that way when I can, and there are a few nice twisties to check out. The best WOULD be Huron River Drive, except for those damn joggers, cops, bicyclists, 35 m.p.h. speed limit and drivers who obey it. Oh, well. But, a little farther out, I find that parts of North Territorial Road are very good for a little fun. Depending on the day and time, traffic is light, and there are plenty of curves and hills with which to match your wits. Try accessing North Territorial this way: take Main Street north out of town until it bumps into the freeway (M-14). Get on the freeway BRIEFLY, and IMMEDIATELY get off at the next exit. I believe it's Barton Drive, but if you follow it around and back under the freeway, it turns into Whitmore Lake Road (in the old, pre-freeway days, Main Street simply turned into Whitmore Lake Road once you hit the city limits). Take Whitmore Lake Road straight north for about 3 or 4 miles, and you'll hit North Territorial. Hang a left and head west on North Territorial, and keep heading west until your patience runs out. Mine usually lasts until I end up somewhere near Stockbridge! Actually, any of the country roads in northern Washtenaw County are great because of the hilly terrain, and the dozens of lakes that force the roads into all kinds of turns. Have fun, and hit some squirrely jogger for me!
Old 05-11-2001, 07:40 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Waterford Hills Road Racing - just north of Pontiac on Dixie Highway in Drayton Plains. You can go as fast as you can, no cops, and no one walking on the road. Gingerman Race Track near South Haven, if you're on the west side of the state. Otherwise, buy a county map and take out lots of insurance.