S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/upper-mid-west-s2000-owners-31/)
-   -   S2k's in snow (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/upper-mid-west-s2000-owners-31/s2ks-snow-636100/)

jjost15 09-29-2008 05:52 PM

S2k's in snow

Hey everyone, I have had my S for about 3 months so i have never driven it in snow and i am scared to. Besides good winter tires and very light foot. What else can i do so i dont wreck my car.

Rev9K27 09-29-2008 06:47 PM

Don't drive it.

But if you do ... don't EVER hit the brakes hard.
That goes for any car. Every input should
always be smooth and deliberate.

Rich04 09-29-2008 07:16 PM

Drove mine for the past 2 winters, no probs here.

Get good tires and learn how to drive a RWD car when sliding the ass end out

jjost15 09-29-2008 07:39 PM

cool thanks not driving the car is out of the question i cant afford a "winter car" so i need to figure some thing out but hopfully the street of D.P. and Mt. prospect will be plowed shortly after the snow fall those are the only cities i drive in thanks again

marks_lude 09-29-2008 08:26 PM

If it seriously scares you, then your probably not very comfortable in the snow and havent had alot of snow drivng experience. The car is not bad at all with good tires on. to give an idea, ive had snow tires on my S, my prelude, my old geo prizm, and old ford ranger. The S is slightly worse than the prelude and prizm, and significantly easier to drive than the ford ranger.

If youre in a position where you cant afford a beater, at the least, have a solid insurance plan. Shit happens. If you never make a mistake while winter driving, that doesnt mean someone else around you wont.

I drove the S thru last years minnesota winter, and the only 2 close calls I had, I was stopped at a light and someone almost slid into me. I always leave 15-20 feet in front of me when I stop. It ensures I stop in time, and gives me run out if someone is coming at me from behind. Always watch in your rear view when your sitting still.

moonliver 09-29-2008 08:38 PM

I would suggest to the mods that we have a new locked thread called. "Snow and your s2000: what it means to you"

get snow tires and you are fine. if you dont, then you are fuhkt 5 ways from tuesday. whatever that means.

K1ngfunK 09-29-2008 09:04 PM

I made it through this winter with all-season's and a light foot, but get snows if you can.

PktChge 09-29-2008 09:24 PM

a thing i found to be good when driving in the snow is try not to use the lower gears. keep your rpms low (around 2.5) in 1st and 2nd when taking off, cause if i shifted at like 4 the back end had a tendency to whip around.

OverBooster 09-30-2008 05:23 AM

Drove mine in the snow for two years with a good pair of Nokian tires. Just pay attention to what you are doing and be light on the throttle. I never spun out once.

patinum 09-30-2008 05:36 AM

Good winter tires do wonders - but before you buy good winter tires, consider buying a cheap beater car.

The only other tip I can give that already hasn't been said is if you're stuck in a parking lot after doing top down donuts in the snow and you get stuck, go in reverse.