S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/upper-mid-west-s2000-owners-31/)
-   -   Snow tire help (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/upper-mid-west-s2000-owners-31/snow-tire-help-150039/)

Legendary 88 09-16-2003 07:26 AM

Snow tire help

I know this should probably be in the tire forum, but I wanted to hear from people that live in same area (Chicago) as me.

So what are you guys running? Tire size, brand, etc.? How do you like them? When did you put them on and take them off? Are you using stock rims or aftermarket? Can you recommend and tire shops to purchase and or install?

Yea, I know. This guy asks a lot of questions. But who better to ask than my local S2K

Mchester 09-16-2003 02:16 PM

Well, I am a little southeast of you, but we had a very Chicago like winter last year. I use Michelin Arctic Alpins on the stock rims. Stock widths.

They work very well as long as you keep your right foot under control.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...1bd993846f.png

I have previously used Bridgestone Blizzaks on other FWD Hondas with very good results as well. I went with the Michelins this time only because they rated a little better for high speed stability.

The reviews at Tirerack.com might also be very helpful to you.

I have the hardtop on my Suzuka Blue S as well, it is terrific in the winter.

Legendary 88 09-17-2003 06:28 AM

Car looks great!

Thanks for the tips. I wish I could get the hardtop, I just don't have the cash for it. I'm just happy I have the car!

Anyone else have info to add?

Luder94 09-17-2003 06:57 AM

I had Blizzaks a while back on the S2000. I only loved them when it snowed or ice was on the ground.

Any other condition and I HATED them....when roads were dry, cold, and coated in salt was the worst. The car was everywhere, I dreaded turning....mind you I drive with a soft foot.

This past winter I ended up with some cheapo Firestone brand tire. I was more than happy with them for the mostly dry winter. I don't think the high cost of the Blizzaks warrant the need with the mainly 2 or 3 days of bad snow days. Other than that, when it snows, the city and suburb crews are usually good at getting snow off the roads.

boiler 09-17-2003 07:20 PM

I drove last winter on a new set of Dunlop Winter Sport M2's. I bought these because they are high speed rated, since most of my winter driving is on dry roads and these tires are great on dry roads (for a snow tire). They are also very good in the snow and I had the feeling that the only thing that was going to stop me was the depth of the snow.

I am using the OEM stock sizes 205/55 and 225/50 tires on a set of less than perfect (cheap) OEM wheels.

All in all, I was very pleased with the way our car handles in the snow with the proper tires on it. I was not surprised, since I have driven several light weight, rear drive cars in the snow and have had similiar experiences. I was invariably the winner of the snow stop light drags every time. This includes four wheel drive vehicles. I love the look on the SUV drivers faces when I leave them spinning all four wheels trying to catch me from a stop. :D Don't misunderstand this, I wasn't driving irresponsibly, just trying to see who has the best winter traction in the slick stuff.

Legendary 88 09-18-2003 06:59 AM

Thanks Boiler! There's a local guy here selling his M2's with 3000 mi. on them. It's a good price, I think I'll pick them up.

shift_9k 09-19-2003 09:35 AM

N e 1 have info on Toyo Garits??

Legendary 88 09-24-2003 06:30 AM

Well I got the M2's they're practically brand new!

So when do you guys put your tires on? I was thinking the end of October.

boiler 09-24-2003 08:27 PM

Originally posted by Legendary 88
Well I got the M2's they're practically brand new!

So when do you guys put your tires on? I was thinking the end of October.
Did you get an extra set of wheels? If you didn't, you might want to consider this as an option. The reason that I mentioned this is because the snow tires wear so much faster than normal tires, you don't want to have them on the car any more than is necessary. If you are swapping tires on one set of wheels, hold out as long as you think you can before you have them switched.

The nice thing about two sets of wheels, is that I can switch back and forth in a few minutes, which lets me run the normal tires most of the time.

BTW, we rarely have snow before Christmas in Indianapolis.

pjonkheer 09-25-2003 05:15 AM

Forget the expensive tires...

Lease yourself a Saab 9-3 for 282/month for 36 months. Great winter car... I'm picking mine up today.