Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

UMW's future

Old 03-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default UMW's future

There has been a lot going on the past few days with pm's going back and forth. I would like to stop the pm's, unless you have something private you would like to say.

I think thanking Urmil for 10 years of volunteering his time to develop this community is important. I believe that sometimes people in the same position for a long time, especially in the internet world can be a detriment. Having said that, it is important to thank everyone who has been involved over the years with UMW's success.

The community is extremely important to the success of s2ki. I think we need to get back to the basics. Why are we here? how did we end up here? We have a bunch of s2000 owners and enthusiasts who want learn and continue their enjoyment of the S2000 and the friendships that have been fostered because of the site and the communities.

Going forward. We will not appoint any CO's or interim CO's until we can help sort through some issues and provide some thoughts and guideance to help this community get back on it's feet.

I know Mocky will be hanging out in this community and will be able to provide moderation if needed. Mocky has been our go to guy for community issues in the past, and we have had good success with someone who knows what a community is and what a CO is. I will also be available to provide some thoughts. UWM will be under s2ki's wing for a while.

My understanding is this is a quiet time for the community. I understand, as I still see snow on the ground in my area. It is a perfect time to discuss things without panicking.

I have only one rule, maybe two.. Everyone will post with respect with everyone's opinion counting. If people can not do that, then maybe you will get the title of the toxic one, suspension, or elimination from UWM. Do not be scared to express yourself, but do not dwell on the past. Personal issues will need to be taken off line. This is about the future.

Once people come out of hibernation and we start seeing more traffic online, we will start the process of finding a CO or two or three. There are 200 badged members in this community and I want to see a good chunk of people participating and voting when it comes time.

CO positions will be nominated, and voted upon. I am sorry to single out the past CO's, but I would like to see some new people step up to the plate. Your experience is needed and wanted, but let's try and find some new blood.

Last comment... s2ki will be working on some restructuring, so no new sub forums will be set up.

That is it for now. I will be posting some thoughts and the CO guide for everyone to see what s2ki's expectations are of a CO.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like your style
Old 03-30-2010, 03:12 PM
S2KI Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me too
Old 03-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have a style really, just speak from experience and what this community is going through is not new. I like the approach of working with a community with out borders and seeing what we can do to help.

Also, I would like you folks to read this article http://www.hondabeat.com/article_details.php?ID=42 It has a lot of meaning to me and was the begging of the S2000 community concept.

Posted in our Community Organizer forum (visible to all CO's), and a forum where CO's go to ask for help from other CO's. This document has been edited over the years but the concept is still the same since 2002. I hope it is not to long to make you guys and gals fall asleep.

The Community Organizer is something of a social director. They are usually someone who is active in organizing events and get-togethers in the local area. Because of this active participation they are well known to the community and have the confidence of the community.

COs (as we call them) are given special privileges to allow them to steer the dynamics of the group but more importantly their intended role is to organize events and to act as a liaison with S2Ki.com to help with developing our global community. They speak on behalf of the community to get things like badge permissions, have troublesome accounts suspended or removed and promote and advertise larger inter-community events and activities.

COs are responsible for maintaining the content quality standards of their forums in a manner consistent with all other S2Ki.com forums and to encourage participation of their members in the broader s2ki global community. They can do this by moving posts of broader interest such as technical topics to the appropriate main site forums and also by promoting events from outside the community.

Except in times of extreme need, S2Ki.com does not appoint Community Organizers. We want your peers to nominate you and therefore you have become a CO with the help of your local community members. You are the lead person within your organization. You are the one respected by your fellow members. Sometimes things change within an organization and someone steps up to help out or take over. We make those changes by request. If we receive a concern from fellow community members about the CO, we will then step in and help out.

All forum communities must be requested, and we recommend you have a decent number of participants to make the community forum worthwhile.

The role of a Community Organizer is:

* Developing a club "Community"
* Establishing a club name with input
* Maintain the membership list
* Contact potential members you see on the street and online *build the club)
* Develop relations with local sponsors and dealerships
* Take the lead in organizing local or community events

If you are a large community or small, there is nothing written in stone that says you can not have help. A Co-Community Organizer can help with tasks, and event planning. It is better to ask for help than try and do everything yourself and risk burnout in the process. As a CO you should be dedicated to the community and the S2000. You will have a sense of accomplishment by organizing events and having your club membership flourish.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great words.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Summer is almost over and winter will be here before we know it, any chance we should move forward with electing new CO's?

UMW is running smoothly, I think we're ready for new leadership.

Just curious.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

I think the community has been running smoothly without a 'leader'. The community, as individuals, have stepped up to organize, host and attend meets.

The way the UMW has organized itself has been great, why change it when it doesn't need to? For those local (as the site mods won't see it, seeing they don't know of local activities), any change could push current members/owners to other sites like JDM Chicago, MWIR, nFWD, etc. as their main site.

Sure we want to do that?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Luder94,Aug 17 2010, 10:05 PM

The way the UMW has organized itself has been great, why change it when it doesn't need to? For those local (as the site mods won't see it, seeing they don't know of local activities), any change could push current members/owners to other sites like JDM Chicago, MWIR, nFWD, etc. as their main site.

Sure we want to do that?
This arguement can be made for every community. Ohio, for example, doesn't NEED a CO.. but we have 2.... and they do monitor activity in the Community. You were a CO for a long time Urmil, you know that things happen within the Community that as a CO you are responsible to difuse before they get splattered all over the board.

A new CO will be in the future for UMW.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:34 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocky,Aug 18 2010, 07:43 AM
This arguement can be made for every community. Ohio, for example, doesn't NEED a CO.. but we have 2.... and they do monitor activity in the Community. You were a CO for a long time Urmil, you know that things happen within the Community that as a CO you are responsible to difuse before they get splattered all over the board.

A new CO will be in the future for UMW.
From observations of activity and being active at S2000 and non-S2000 meets this summer, things aren't polarized right now.

Throwing in CO's right now will polarize the UMW; regardless. If that happens, S2000 owners will begin to choose other local organizations as their first 'go-to' community and site.

What your argument makes a point for is that the UMW needs a moderator for the UMW forum vs. a leader for the community. As it is, having a leader with an affinity towards a certain group of people, or tuning/modding style, will drive others away. ie. Pick an auto-x'er and all the JDM and Stance/Seen It! guys go elsewhere. Pick a SeenIt! guy, and all the auto-x'ers and F1 guys go dormant or to another site.

Just a thought.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Luder94,Aug 18 2010, 10:34 AM
Pick an auto-x'er and all the JDM and Stance/Seen It! guys go elsewhere. Pick a SeenIt! guy, and all the auto-x'ers and F1 guys go dormant or to another site.

Just a thought.

Won't this hold true for every community then?

Quick Reply: UMW's future