Utah S2000 Owners S2000 Owners from Utah

enthusiast group in Utah

Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ofire,Mar 25 2010, 11:35 AM
Something has to be done to the health care system. I'm glad they are at least attempting an overhaul. However I think that they jumped the gun and have watered down the bill a little.

They need to work on cost reduction and not cost shifting. They haven't made healthcare any cheaper they have just made it available to everyone. In reality everyone already had some sort of healthcare that blue collars like us pay for. The rampant medicaid/medicare abuse, insurance fraud, hypocondriac public, drug company bribing doctors bullcrap needs to stop.
/\/\
It's trickier than that though. I don't think abuse by people in the industry is really the problem. I think our system has incentives set up the wrong way. Here's one reason:
We have a 3rd party payer, so costs will go up over time. Why? Because the drug companies have a blank check to develop cures. So if they come out with a cure for a type of cancer that costs $500k to administer--we're talking real costs here, not bloated ones--then the insurance company will write the check and redistribute the costs through increases in premiums. So we will purchase very expensive cures and then distribute the bill. And that might be the right answer, but it's not cheap.

Also, the ER visits of uninsured are huge. ER visits cost a small fortune because everything is ordered STAT and such. And the hospital foots the bill, charges it as overhead to insurance, and that's passed on to us. That's a legit problem that should be addressed. And of course uninsured will go to the ER--it's cheaper than Walgreens! We've just encouraged inefficiency.

There are lots of other problems, but...

I agree--the bill probably won't fix the underlying issues. But the issues are real, and it would be good if we could come up with a better system.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ofire,Mar 25 2010, 12:35 PM
Something has to be done to the health care system. I'm glad they are at least attempting an overhaul. However I think that they jumped the gun and have watered down the bill a little.

They need to work on cost reduction and not cost shifting. They haven't made healthcare any cheaper they have just made it available to everyone. In reality everyone already had some sort of healthcare that blue collars like us pay for. The rampant medicaid/medicare abuse, insurance fraud, hypocondriac public, drug company bribing doctors bullcrap needs to stop.
But why are they going after only healthcare? What about pharmaceutical firms that get away with charging use 10 times what they are able to charge for the same drugs in other countries? My nephew had diaper rash in Cancun. The tube of diaper rash goo cost us $8 in Mexico and here we pay $78 (well our health insurance does).

That's why health insurance is so expensive. Don't get me wrong...I'm all for a healthy profit but pharmaceutical companies are gouging us because they have more lobbyists in Washington than any other industry outside of maybe oil. Lobbyists are a cancer on our fair country...it's like legalized bribery. Ugh...
Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 AM

BTW, I need a hand installing a roll bar this weekend. Any enthusiasts wanna help?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 AM

That's what I'm getting at, cost reduction not shifting. Reduce the cost of meds and procedures.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ofire,Mar 25 2010, 01:14 PM
That's what I'm getting at, cost reduction not shifting. Reduce the cost of meds and procedures.
Right. But these friggin' companies own our politicians. It's unbelievable. Obama promised to get lobbyists out of Washington...broken promise.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:10 AM

Yeah, he's just another president.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by CourageOO7,Mar 25 2010, 12:05 PM
BTW, I need a hand installing a roll bar this weekend. Any enthusiasts wanna help?
I'd be down, but helping with a supercharger and habitat for humanity tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by my_slow_2k,Mar 25 2010, 02:57 PM
I'd be down, but helping with a supercharger and habitat for humanity tomorrow.
Pfff...building homes for the poor vs a roll bar installation? Ugh...you're too nice. lol jk...that's a great cause. Neat.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:17 PM

yeah right slow. We're going golfing. You don't have to lie to kick it.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ace123,Mar 25 2010, 09:59 AM
JR, it doesn't sound like the club thinks it's all about money either. It's just that the way the mission statement is phrased seems to actively put down those that would not be members of it. That's poor form, and it makes the group of enthusiasts sound arrogant. They might not be that way at all, but the mission statement was a big turn off to me for that reason.

If you want to use that bit of rambling, go for it, but IMO that's not good enough for a mission statement either--I just wanted to illustrate the point. (There's even an extra comma (typo) in it right before the word engineers.) Do you see the difference?
Ace,

Good comments. The reality is I am a SUCKY writer, but a great scientist. I can't write for crap. I don't think many scientists can. You should see when we have big meetings together how we all argue how to spell something.

Between me and another guy we got put in charge of writing the mission statement, and well I just can't do it. I don't have a way with words. You see how me and ofire go back and forth. What one things means to me doesn't mean the same to others.

I am going to just use your modified paragraph for now, and really I don't care anyway. I figure people will come out and can judge the group for what it is, if they like it great, if they don't, thats ok too. Enjoy the forums and lets just have some good automotive talk.

J. R.

Quick Reply: enthusiast group in Utah