Utah S2000 Owners S2000 Owners from Utah

Miller Motorsports Park

Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go out just about every chance I get especially when it's "Cheap"
Tomorrow is a Snowcross which really isn't anything to do with rallycross as I thought it would be but as UT Evo said its more autocrosish standing start single timed lap and they put up cone gates to force your line "slow you down" in the corners but it is still fun and they don't cancel for weather. Snowcross has no restrictions other than a helmut drivers lic and seatbelts. last month there was two of use out with s2000's mine isn't very pretty though. Registration goes till 9 am track goes hot at 9:30 last time a guy brought his Honda Odessey and took third in FWD.

As far as other events at miller you won't need the hardtop Millers insurance allows for factory rollover protection with your top up. If you come out when SCCA sponsers it which is I think once or twice you need a top or better roll bar because they use SCCA insurance.

The best thing to do is come out and mingle thats what I did. But the absolute best way to start is Lapping days nothing compares to having an instructor in the car with you pricey though. Open track day's instruction is not enough to really learn.

Let me know if you want more info on other events. Lapbattle is the best deal goto Lapbattle.com for more info.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by oorhett,Feb 6 2009, 08:22 PM
I go out just about every chance I get especially when it's "Cheap"
Tomorrow is a Snowcross which really isn't anything to do with rallycross as I thought it would be but as UT Evo said its more autocrosish standing start single timed lap and they put up cone gates to force your line "slow you down" in the corners but it is still fun and they don't cancel for weather. Snowcross has no restrictions other than a helmut drivers lic and seatbelts. last month there was two of use out with s2000's mine isn't very pretty though. Registration goes till 9 am track goes hot at 9:30 last time a guy brought his Honda Odessey and took third in FWD.

As far as other events at miller you won't need the hardtop Millers insurance allows for factory rollover protection with your top up. If you come out when SCCA sponsers it which is I think once or twice you need a top or better roll bar because they use SCCA insurance.

The best thing to do is come out and mingle thats what I did. But the absolute best way to start is Lapping days nothing compares to having an instructor in the car with you pricey though. Open track day's instruction is not enough to really learn.

Let me know if you want more info on other events. Lapbattle is the best deal goto Lapbattle.com for more info.
wow, thanks for the info! I was going to go to the snowX but was unable to take days off for either event. $150 for lapping days sounds fun and I'll most likely be there. How do you go about getting an instructor to help you out on the track? I didn't see anything about it on lapbattle.com
Old 02-07-2009, 10:50 AM

lap battle is just you in the car... its 150 and 25 for transponder... last year it was 150 all together, i wish it was still that price...

in those situations i try to follow the faster drivers and stick with them following there lines

i will be down there as much as i can this year for lapping days and lap battles mainly ... it would nice to meet all you guys
Old 02-07-2009, 06:38 PM

For instructors I don't think there is anything better than Jeff Blonders group LappingDays http://www.lappingdays.com/
it's $350 per day but you get a ton of track time and as much access to an instructor in your car as you could want. Really its the best way to learn how to drive on a track. Plus there is usually some pretty cool cars at every event. Audi R8's, Porsche Carrera GT, Ford GT's, Vipers , Ferrari's.. I havn't seen that Ariel Atom before though that was cool.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oorhett,Feb 7 2009, 09:38 PM
For instructors I don't think there is anything better than Jeff Blonders group LappingDays http://www.lappingdays.com/
it's $350 per day but you get a ton of track time and as much access to an instructor in your car as you could want. Really its the best way to learn how to drive on a track. Plus there is usually some pretty cool cars at every event. Audi R8's, Porsche Carrera GT, Ford GT's, Vipers , Ferrari's.. I havn't seen that Ariel Atom before though that was cool.
Don't forget S2000's!!! I went with this group last year and plan on going with them again this year.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been 3-4 times. It is great and I love it. To bad I am a ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE driver. Just ask Mike. He was a instructor with me once. I suck!

It turns out I have a gift for building cars, but not the gift to drive them.

I will be bringing the Lotus 7 up this season. Hope to see you guys there!

J. R.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:18 PM

Lapping days, like the miller open days, is a rip off, in my opinion. Unless you're hardcore. To me, driving a street car (especially my daily driver, since that's what my car has always been) for a long on track as they give you (you get tons of track time) isn't worth the money and wear and tear on the car, most daily driven cars aren't meant to be enduro machines... Then again, you are in an S2000, which should last forever... www.utahscca.com and like... a search for intermountain region porsche club of america will yield both their sites, both of them are the same price as Lap Battle (about, I think they are a bit more) both get you more track time than lap battle, and both include free instructors for people in the novice/beginner groups. I've taught all sorts of people with the SCCA.

And the better video games (Toca Race Driver, PGR, GT series, Forza) do a pretty decent job of teaching the basics, most importantly they all do a pretty good job of teaching you the line, especially if they have the option to turn on the racing line. Video games > go karts > car racing. That'd be the way to train! Go karts out there are TONS of fun, very fast, and very good training tools. I believe their price even went down to 22 for 10 min. Sometimes (often, actually) I'd go on lunch and go over to the karts if they weren't running an event and take 10 minutes on a kart too.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by UT_Evo,Feb 9 2009, 12:18 AM
Lapping days, like the miller open days, is a rip off, in my opinion. Unless you're hardcore. To me, driving a street car (especially my daily driver, since that's what my car has always been) for a long on track as they give you (you get tons of track time) isn't worth the money and wear and tear on the car, most daily driven cars aren't meant to be enduro machines... Then again, you are in an S2000, which should last forever... www.utahscca.com and like... a search for intermountain region porsche club of america will yield both their sites, both of them are the same price as Lap Battle (about, I think they are a bit more) both get you more track time than lap battle, and both include free instructors for people in the novice/beginner groups. I've taught all sorts of people with the SCCA.

And the better video games (Toca Race Driver, PGR, GT series, Forza) do a pretty decent job of teaching the basics, most importantly they all do a pretty good job of teaching you the line, especially if they have the option to turn on the racing line. Video games > go karts > car racing. That'd be the way to train! Go karts out there are TONS of fun, very fast, and very good training tools. I believe their price even went down to 22 for 10 min. Sometimes (often, actually) I'd go on lunch and go over to the karts if they weren't running an event and take 10 minutes on a kart too.
I'm definitely going to take an interest in the two groups you listed and try to get some track time there. Free instructors and more track time for a little more money sounds really enticing. I never knew that video games were used to actually teach real life situations. I might have to pickup a PS3 . They have a gokart place in Layton by walmart that I might visit, but I'm not sure how that would compare to Miller's karts.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mugen112,Feb 9 2009, 05:08 PM
I'm definitely going to take an interest in the two groups you listed and try to get some track time there. Free instructors and more track time for a little more money sounds really enticing. I never knew that video games were used to actually teach real life situations. I might have to pickup a PS3 . They have a gokart place in Layton by walmart that I might visit, but I'm not sure how that would compare to Miller's karts.
We usually hit up the Porsche clubs meets. They are a pretty helpful bunch.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you get in with the Porsche Club or do you need to be 'invited'?

Quick Reply: Miller Motorsports Park