Utah S2000 Owners S2000 Owners from Utah

Miller Motorsports Park

Old 02-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gomarlins3,Feb 9 2009, 07:46 PM
Can you get in with the Porsche Club or do you need to be 'invited'?
They usually open it up to Porsche owners first and then if the event is not over-subscribed, they open it up to all.

Of all the groups, I think the SCCA puts on the best events.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought about going down with SCCA, but I would need a HT to drive with them.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gomarlins3,Feb 9 2009, 07:46 PM
Can you get in with the Porsche Club or do you need to be 'invited'?
They have always allowed us to mix right in with them. I know a few people in here seemed to have problems with them, but I knock it up to your attitude towards their program. Sure some might be a little snobby, but I know some people driving Honda's who think their excrement smells like roses. We just tried to stay clear of them if they act up on us. Pretty much everyone I have talked to at the PCA events has been a down to earth person, who has a eye for a good car and driver, and is willing to throw out pointers.

Just keep tabs on their website http://int.pca.org/ for dates and locations.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:54 PM

I was out with the PCA porsche club this year and it was a really great event but seems like it was just one time for the whole season I could be wrong but it is a great event and I didn't feel at all out of place in my S2000 even with a ratty soft top. they were great and you get a t-shirt. SCCA you will absolutley need the HT unless you get a more aggresive roll bar. As far as learning how to drive on a track by a video game I played Toca, Granturismo and some others and it is nothing like driving on the track. It would be cool though if they had the Miller track map on those games to practice lines. The same with GO karts its a different feel all together my brother kicks my trash on go karts but I am a good 10+ sec faster than him at the track events we have been to with him sharing my car.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 PM

As long as Blake isn't still there, or has matured significantly since the good ol' days of high school, I imagine Porsche club is pretty solid Everyone is going to be hesitant of a new comer joining the advanced group, I think that's where I ran into any problems I had, especially being as young as I am. No one wants some punk ass kid running in their advanced group and doing something stupid, so it's understandable. Joining in a beginner group I doubt you'll have any problems. And PCA seems to almost always open up to non Porsche owners pretty quickly (can't actually remember if it was Porsche owners, or actual PCA members). I also feel like SCCA is probably the best, but the few PCAs I've been to I feel like they may have better instructors (they don't seem to be as desperate for whoever can instruct, like SCCA is sometimes).

The karting at the indoor places is decent, but IMO doesn't simulate real driving very well... The karts tend to slip and slide around much easier on the slick concrete. They're fun, and tend to be cheaper than Miller, and they teach you a bit. But the fastest normal line isn't always fastest on those karts (it winds up being like racing in rainy conditions). The karts at Miller reward you greatly for knowing the proper racing lines, and since I believe they upgraded the karts to go faster they may reward it even better now (before you could often go almost flat out the whole track if you knew the lines on the old karts, and someone said you can't anymore). The drawback to karts if you're racing someone is weight advantages (and disadvantages) there seems to be a perfect weight amount for the most traction in the tires (higher weight) and most speed/agility (lower weight). I tend to be on the low side and slide fairly easily, even on the Miller track. And there's the fact that karts drive like a different kind of car, certainly not much like an S, but they still require you to follow the lines properly.

If GT5 is anything like Prologue then the PS3 is going to have a great racer soon. I rented Prologue and "rented" a wheel from Best Buy (return policies FTW)... Other than not having the proper set up for the wheel (I had to hold it weird on my legs) it worked very well. I know a particular Evo owner who learned most of his initial knowledge from Forza 2, and was pretty good his first time behind the wheel (not me, a friend). Though the physics and feel aren't quite like driving on track, the lines are always spot on. And that is one of the most important part of going fast.

Also, reading books and things online are great tools to improve. MSM would know the names of the books he has, but I've read a few of them and they help greatly, especially with some of the trickier corners/situations.

Hopefully I can make it out to a few events this year... Maybe I'll see some of you out there.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Spammer

Hello Everyone,

My name is Carlos Oliveros, I organize trackdays at Laguna Seca for sport cars, the name of my company is On The Edge Trackdays, I'm planning to start organizing this same events at Miller Motorsports Park, probably in June 2nd might be our first, but I would really like to know your comments about it, I have been reading all your post about the trackdays at MMP and it looks like it's a little bit different of what we offer here in California, I would like to extend an invitation to check my website www.extpictures.com , and review all the information about our events and what we offer, please feel free to call or email me if you have further questions, your comments will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Carlos Oliveros
831 210 3480
www.extpictures.com
On The Edge Trackdays
Old 02-12-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by UT_Evo,Feb 9 2009, 10:41 PM
As long as Blake isn't still there, or has matured significantly since the good ol' days of high school, I imagine Porsche club is pretty solid Everyone is going to be hesitant of a new comer joining the advanced group, I think that's where I ran into any problems I had, especially being as young as I am. No one wants some punk ass kid running in their advanced group and doing something stupid, so it's understandable. Joining in a beginner group I doubt you'll have any problems. And PCA seems to almost always open up to non Porsche owners pretty quickly (can't actually remember if it was Porsche owners, or actual PCA members). I also feel like SCCA is probably the best, but the few PCAs I've been to I feel like they may have better instructors (they don't seem to be as desperate for whoever can instruct, like SCCA is sometimes).

The karting at the indoor places is decent, but IMO doesn't simulate real driving very well... The karts tend to slip and slide around much easier on the slick concrete. They're fun, and tend to be cheaper than Miller, and they teach you a bit. But the fastest normal line isn't always fastest on those karts (it winds up being like racing in rainy conditions). The karts at Miller reward you greatly for knowing the proper racing lines, and since I believe they upgraded the karts to go faster they may reward it even better now (before you could often go almost flat out the whole track if you knew the lines on the old karts, and someone said you can't anymore). The drawback to karts if you're racing someone is weight advantages (and disadvantages) there seems to be a perfect weight amount for the most traction in the tires (higher weight) and most speed/agility (lower weight). I tend to be on the low side and slide fairly easily, even on the Miller track. And there's the fact that karts drive like a different kind of car, certainly not much like an S, but they still require you to follow the lines properly.

If GT5 is anything like Prologue then the PS3 is going to have a great racer soon. I rented Prologue and "rented" a wheel from Best Buy (return policies FTW)... Other than not having the proper set up for the wheel (I had to hold it weird on my legs) it worked very well. I know a particular Evo owner who learned most of his initial knowledge from Forza 2, and was pretty good his first time behind the wheel (not me, a friend). Though the physics and feel aren't quite like driving on track, the lines are always spot on. And that is one of the most important part of going fast.

Also, reading books and things online are great tools to improve. MSM would know the names of the books he has, but I've read a few of them and they help greatly, especially with some of the trickier corners/situations.

Hopefully I can make it out to a few events this year... Maybe I'll see some of you out there.
I really think I'm going to pick up a PS3 and GT5 when it comes out. i've seem some crazy setups that people have put together (I think they are posted somewhere on this forum). They are like an actual driving simulator and I've even seen some that have swapped out the consols steering wheel with a real S2k one.

I didn't even think about getting books to read. I'll have to search around for some different books that I can pick up.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:57 AM

thats all im waiting for to buy a ps3 is gt5 to come out, until then i will play forza2 and gt4...

but for real those games help out a ton... if you have autox alot you have to think so fast and 3 turns ahead that on the track i find myself very relaxed and deciding my line alot easier for the track is so much more open
Old 02-12-2009, 01:24 PM
RUW

I've been there three times for open track days (once with the Cobb group and twice with Miller Motorsports days--no rollbar requirement and small groups). You have no idea how much fun it is, beware of lift-throttle snap oversteer on S2000's, only the slightest lift when the tail comes out and, bam, around she goes. It just adds to the excitement!
I was at the Snowcross event last month, my son and I shared my car, and those are great fun along with a pretty good bargain. I was lined up directly behind "oorhett" for the timed runs in the afternoon, and his 7-8000rpm clutch dropping, tire-smoking starts were an inspiration.
Great fun, don't miss out. I'll be out there again at least once this summer.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mugen112,Feb 12 2009, 01:34 PM
I really think I'm going to pick up a PS3 and GT5 when it comes out. i've seem some crazy setups that people have put together (I think they are posted somewhere on this forum). They are like an actual driving simulator and I've even seen some that have swapped out the consols steering wheel with a real S2k one.

I didn't even think about getting books to read. I'll have to search around for some different books that I can pick up.
Fairly offtopic but... Yeah, I'd wait till the last possible minute to get a PS3 for GT5. With the 60 gb system long gone, you may as well wait and see if they make anymore changes. I think they should've kept an "Elite" type version with the same hardware as the 60 gb that got removed to cut costs for the 80 gb, but just with a bigger harddrive (and other newer hardware that has been upgraded in the 80 gb over the 60, though I don't think anything has).

Forza 2 and GT4 do a good enough job, that's for sure.

Quick Reply: Miller Motorsports Park