Utah S2000 Owners S2000 Owners from Utah

Utah Region AutoX Comments/ Questions

Old 07-06-2009, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utah Region AutoX Comments/ Questions

Hey there,
With the new STR class coming out next year, I'm wondering what needs to be done to increase s2000 participation. Info HERE! http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=3&news=3629

Auto X / Solo continues to be the cheapest form of racing out there. We could honestly turn these events into S2000 meets... Not to mention, you can use the auto X course to properly "test N' tune" your new performance parts. You simply won't find a better place to balance the settings on your coilovers. Or, do a butt dyno on your new exhaust.

Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out what is holding so many people back from coming out and racing. You may or not know it, but STR is a STREET TIRE class. Therefore, you don't have to buy a second set of wheels and R-Comps to be competitive. You can literally just show up and drive. S2000, MR2, Porsche, etc... enthusiasts have been BEGGING for this class for years. We finally have a chance to run it.

Furthermore, STR is going to allow many comon tuner mods (i.e. Coilovers, Intakes, various wheel sizes, etc). Locally, as a region, we can accomidate almost any modifications and make it a competitive enviroment for everyone that shows up.

I am more than happy to start running in STR as long as we can get more s2000's out. We can start the STR class ANYTIME. We DO NOT have to wait till next year. I am willing to help you guys start in any way necessary.

Please post any concerns, comments, suggestions, etc... in this thread.

Thanks!
-Mike Carpenter
A Stock Leader Salt Lake Region.

PS. Kris, I'm totally fine with you running in STR even with your rolled fenders if you want. Doesn't matter to me as long as you only have 245's all the way around!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=///MIKE,Jul 6 2009, 10:01 AM]

PS. Kris, I'm totally fine with you running in STR even with your rolled fenders if you want.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by ///MIKE,Jul 6 2009, 11:01 AM
Auto X / Solo continues to be the cheapest form of racing out there.

Not to mention, you can use the auto X course to properly "test N' tune" your new performance parts. You simply won't find a better place to balance the settings on your coilovers. Or, do a butt dyno on your new exhaust.

Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out what is holding so many people back from coming out and racing.
Well... Not to step on your shoes Mike (you can take it anyway), just trying to point out my reasons for not doing autocross as much, but 150 dollars for 1.5 hrs of seat time vs 30 dollars for (we'll aim high) 8 min of seat time... $1.66 per min vs $3.75 per min. If you don't consider Time Attack real "racing" and definitely don't include HPDE as "racing" either then your argument becomes more valid. I think MPRA is fairly expensive, but since autox isn't wheel-to-wheel, time attack should count. So that alone should be enough, but then there's (I'll include other reasons I've heard besides my personal reasons):

Not having to work/dedicate ALL day to the "experience"
Personally, I feel like autocross is more stressful for the non-wear items of the car.
It's more fun to be around other cars.
I don't have the time.
I don't have the money, period.
Don't want my car to break/crash/etc.
I/my car won't be fast enough.
Classings are not fair/suck/blah blah blah.
Courses are not fair/suck/blah blah blah.
Etc etc are not fair/suck/blah blah blah.

What I think the SCCA should do is bring out STAS STBS etc etc classes, I want a FULL ON stock class, with little/no modifications allowed. STU allows too many other mods besides tires, and AS allows tires (which are HUGE in autocross)...

What is STR going to be?

(And again, mind you, all of the above points are not my own, just things I've heard from people when I've tried to convince them to come out).
Old 07-06-2009, 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=UT_Evo,Jul 6 2009, 11:00 AM] Well... Not to step on your shoes Mike (you can take it anyway), just trying to point out my reasons for not doing autocross as much, but 150 dollars for 1.5 hrs of seat time vs 30 dollars for (we'll aim high) 8 min of seat time...
Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by my_slow_civic,Jul 6 2009, 10:14 AM
Ha, yeah I run the 245/40's all around. I could definitely see it getting intimidating running against some of the other BSP cars, like that vette. Although we did get within 3 seconds of him.

I am very new to the AutoX idea. From what I saw things went pretty well. I sure did enjoy that course, nice and open, with some great technical areas. The starting area seemed a little hectic at times, but overall flowed pretty good. Oh, the course working seems to be unbalanced. I am all for running after cones, as it saves me a day at the gym. By the end of the day, there seemed to be nobody there to work the course though. I'm sure that is a recurrent issue.

Then you know my gripe with the registration. I totally understand the need to get people to pre register. I would think there could be a better way of doing this so others who do not, or could not pre registyer, do not need to wait so long.

Water coolers could be a good idea. I mean if someone can bring a cooler stocked with energy drinks, why not water? We all know water is 100 times better than energy drinks.

I have nothing to really offer on boosting participation. I know for me, it all comes down to my work schedule. During the summer, it is completely unpredictable for me.
Thankyou for coming out Kris. It sure looked like you were having a good time...

I wish I could have spent a little more time talking with you, but our run groups were opposite of each other... anyway, hopefully I can catch up to you next time!

Anyway, we've got the water thing figured out. We will have water at every event going forward.

Registration had some issues... but it's usually not that bad. We're working on some new things and should hopefully be testing them at the next event.

I also understand work schedules... I've missed quite a few events that were on Saturdays because of it.

Anyway, I'm really glad you could come out. My understanding is that we are going to give you $10 bucks off your next event. By all means, PLEASE let me know if this gets messed up and I WILL take care of it. I'll pay the 10 out of my own pocket if I have too.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:58 PM

Yeah, Autocross is, for the most part, much more exciting than the track, I'll give you that. That's why Mazda Ryan stopped coming to the track much.

What's the difference between STR and STU (where I would be/am right now)?
Old 07-06-2009, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ///MIKE,Jul 6 2009, 02:38 PM
Allowances are 245 width tires with 8.5" max Rim size. Rim size is irrelevant IMO as long as you're running the proper tire width. So, at a local level don't worry about it. It would only be an issue if you decided to run an national event.
I would hope they go off tire size, as I am running 17x9 rims.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by UT_Evo,Jul 6 2009, 03:58 PM
Yeah, Autocross is, for the most part, much more exciting than the track, I'll give you that. That's why Mazda Ryan stopped coming to the track much.
Really? I've only been to one autocross event so maybe that is the reason I see things differently. The main reason that I don't want to participate in autocross is because of the amount of standing around you do. Seems like you're just standing there waiting your turn for most of the time. Then again, it's always cool to chat with people while waiting.

Excuses:

- Instead of using the entire day to get maybe 10minutes of seat time, I can pay less for seat time AND get more of it on an ACTUAL track.

- I think open track is much more fun. Even tho I've never done W2W racing, it's always fun to be on the same track behind a super-car (or infront of them ). Letting a race prepped vette pass you on the straight and then seeing if you can hang with them on the next corner is a down right adrenaline rush.

- While being on the track for 20 minutes at a time, I am able to see how my times improve while making small changes with my turn in and line. If I were only able to make one lap on the track then had to pitt, I would think it would be harder to see where I did better and where I can still make up alot of time.

If tracking my car wasn't an option, then I'd be out to autoX every chance I could get.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto-x is a great place to start. For those of you looking for a chance to learn how to drive your car and push it to the limits in a safe setting it's an excellent option.

The downside to auto-x, in my opinion, is the time commitment and cost.

For time commitment ... It is an all-day or at minimum close to all day long investment of time for perhaps 5 to 7 min of actual driving. That's hard for most to accept, but it's the volunteer work that enables the events.

For cost ... the entry fees are fairly high considering the requirement to volunteer more time working on course (by far) than you spend driving on course. There are also costs for wear-and-tear. When we auto-x'ed I actually switched to R compounds because they were cheaper to replace than expensive street tires, with of course the added benefit of being much more fun. You can chew through an expensive set of street tires fairly fast.

If what you're after is the social aspect of hanging out with a bunch of like minded car enthusiasts, then it's a great way to spend a day. If you're looking for competition or just thrills, get your feet wet at 2 or 3 auto-x and then hit an HPDE, club event or time trials on track.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by my_slow_civic,Jul 6 2009, 05:08 PM
I would hope they go off tire size, as I am running 17x9 rims.
The actual class rules state "8.5" Wide rim max" So, for a national event (they happen once a year) no, you couldn't compete. However, every other local event 12-13 times a year... you can... no problem.

For cost ... the entry fees are fairly high considering the requirement to volunteer more time working on course (by far) than you spend driving on course. There are also costs for wear-and-tear. When we auto-x'ed I actually switched to R compounds because they were cheaper to replace than expensive street tires, with of course the added benefit of being much more fun. You can chew through an expensive set of street tires fairly fast.
Street tires cost more than R Comps? Maybe bridgestones.... But otherwise, no comparison. Street tires last twice as long and cost almost half. Example. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?ma...rt+Z1+Star+Spec

The Dunlop Direzza Star spec in 245/40/17 is a phenominal tire and costs only $152 a peice. I will be running these very soon. R Comps (i.e. Kumho V710's) cost $800 for 4. Hoosiers are 1200 for 4.... cause of heat cycling anyway. Not to mention you have to have a second set of wheels and a tire trailer or tire tail to get to an event. Pain in the ass!

[QUOTE]I think open track is much more fun. Even tho I've never done W2W racing, it's always fun to be on the same track behind a super-car (or infront of them

Quick Reply: Utah Region AutoX Comments/ Questions